John McCain was never tortured in Hanoi prison, claims ex-prison directorOctober 25th, 2008 - 2:50 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Oct 25 (ANI): Tran Trong Duyet, a former Vietnamese prison director who held Republican presidential candidate John McCain in Hanoi as a prisoner of war (PoW) after his plane was shot down 41 years ago, has contradicted the latters claim that he was tortured in jail for four years.
I never tortured or mistreated the PoWs and nor did my staff. The Americans were dropping bombs on military and civilian targets so its not as if they had important information we needed to extract, said Duyet in contradiction of McCains account and those of other prisoners.
Duyet added that he sympathises with McCain and other PoWs for claiming that they were tortured. Its up to the Americans to decide whether or not he counts as a hero. He was very brave, very manly, he dared to argue with me and he was very intelligent. But, all the talk of being tortured is for the sake of votes, timesonline.com quoted him as saying.
Nguyen Tien Tran, another director at the prison, confirmed his Duyets version: We had a clear code of taking care of the injured. We did our best to patch McCain up and he was treated by a good doctor. Why would he say that he was tortured? he said. (ANI)
- In Vietnam, interest in one time POW McCain is mixed - Sep 20, 2008
- Pakistan holding 74 Indian defence men since 1971: Ahmed - Aug 23, 2012
- Vietnam POW prison guard chief says that McCain was not tortured - Oct 14, 2008
- '18 Pakistani PoWs still awaiting release after 39 years' - Dec 16, 2010
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- US senator wants bilateral investment treaty with India - May 15, 2012
- John McCain says 'Jersey Shore' star Snooki is 'too good looking' to go to jail - Aug 12, 2010
- Archaeologists unearth 127-km long 'Great Wall' of Vietnam - Jan 27, 2011
- Vietnamese man sleeps beside wife's bones for five years - Dec 01, 2009
- Trump not a "serious" presidential candidate: Republican senator McCain - May 02, 2011
- Vietnam fires German soccer coach Goetz - Dec 24, 2011
- McCain has blood of peaceful civilians on his hands: Putin - Dec 15, 2011
- McCain opts out of 2012 GOP presidential candidature endorsements - Feb 04, 2011
- Hanoi restaurant owner found making tiger-bone paste - Dec 07, 2009
- Olympic badminton: Kashyap beats World No.11 to enter pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: civilian targets, contradiction, dropping bombs, good doctor, hanoi, hero, important information, john mccain, nguyen, pow, pows, prisoner of war, prisoners, republican presidential candidate, republican presidential candidate john mccain, sake, torture, us presidential poll