Jodhpur court orders investigation into Jaswant Singh’s ‘opium party’ caseNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:30 am ICT by admin
Apart from Jaswant Singh, the others charged include Raghuveer Singh Kaushal, Lalit Kishore Chaturvedi, Kailash Meghwal, state cabinet ministers Ghan Shyam Tiwari, Narpat Singh Rajvi, Madan Dilawar and Mahaveer Prasad Jain. Two BJP MLAs Jogeshwar Garg and Shankar Singh Rajpu Rohit were also named in the complaint.
It was alleged that Jaswant Singh welcomed his guests with an offering of opium diluted in water.
Singh has denied the charge.
“It’s an old tradition to serve opium in functions like Riyan when the near and dear ones, and even people from the nearby villages, are invited when a family has got some good news,” he said.
The complaint was filed by a Om Prakash Vishnoi, through his counsel Malam Singh Choudhary before the Special Judge, Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act cases, under various sections of the law.
The Act prescribes a 10-year jail term at the minimum for offenders and a fine of Rs 1 lakh for possessing opium.
On October 31, Singh had hosted a lunch at his ancestral village Jasol in Rajasthan’s Barmer District to which several BJP leaders of the anti-Vasundhara Raje faction were invited. (ANI)
- Investigation into Jaswant Singh's 'opium party': Jodhpur Court to decide today - Nov 14, 2007
- Congress seeks probe into Jaswant's cash-for-votes case - Apr 01, 2009
- Report on Jaswant Singh's money distribution sent to poll panel - Apr 01, 2009
- NDA names Jaswant as vice presidential candidate - Jul 16, 2012
- JD-U is with Jaswant Singh: Nitish - Jul 16, 2012
- Now BJP's Jaswant Singh caught on camera distributing cash - Mar 31, 2009
- Poll panel to verify Jaswant's cash-for-votes CD (Lead) - Apr 01, 2009
- Sonia attacks BJP, says debate issues in parliament - Aug 30, 2012
- AIADMK to support Jaswant Singh - Aug 06, 2012
- Vice presidential hopefull Jaswant Singh comes full circle - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh to file papers for vice president Friday - Jul 20, 2012
- Poll panel notice to Jaswant Singh for doling cash - Apr 05, 2009
- Jaswant Singh to contest LS polls from Darjeeling - Apr 03, 2009
- Jaswant Singh is NDA choice for vice president (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- Jaswant Singh is NDA's vice presidential candidate (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: act cases, ancestral village, barmer, bjp leaders, ghan, jaswant singh, lalit, legal complaint, narcotic drugs, nearby villages, om, opium, psychotropic substances, shankar singh, special judge, state cabinet, vasundhara raje