Jharkhand shuts down to protest against NaxalsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:59 am ICT by admin
Marandi’s brother Nunulal, who was also present there, however managed to escape unhurt.
The dawn-to-dusk shutdown on Sunday, called by Marandi’s Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Democratic), affected the road and rail traffic.
Buses and trucks remained off the roads in most parts of the State.
The movement of trains was worst hit in Dhanbad Railway Division.
Three Rajdhani Express trains to Howrah, Sealdah and Bhubaneswar were held up for several hours in various places in Dhanbad and Giridih Districts by protestors, a Railway official said.
Several other trains got delayed due to the protests.
The shutdown was total in Simdega, Gumla and Giridih, but evoked mixed response in Dumka, Pakur and Latehar districts.
Road transport services were also affected as protestors blocked the Grand Trunk Road at Nirsa, Chirkunda and Barvadih in Dhanbad.
Meanwhile, police have detained 54 supporters in Garwah. (ANI)
- Opposition protests hit road, rail services - Mar 09, 2011
- Jharkhand's rural areas hit by Maoist shutdown - Apr 23, 2011
- Shutdown call a success in Jharkhand - May 31, 2012
- Maoists attack policemen, blast rail tracks in Jharkhand - Jun 27, 2012
- Maoists blast rail tracks, kill guard in Jharkhand (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Maoists attack policemen, blow rail tracks in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Court acquits four suspected Maoists in 2007 massacre - Dec 15, 2011
- Maoists blow up railway track in Jharkhand - Sep 13, 2010
- Maoists killed 19 because they couldn't locate one (Flashback) - Jun 23, 2011
- Train fire accident to be probed - Nov 22, 2011
- Buses damaged, trains movement disrupted in Bengal (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Three girls injured as ceiling plaster falls on them - Sep 13, 2011
- Suspected Maoists kill coal mine officials in Jharkhand (Lead) - Oct 12, 2009
- Four Maoists awarded death penalty in Jharkhand - Jun 23, 2011
- Maoists blow up rail tracks in Jharkhand - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: anup, dawn to dusk, dhanbad, express trains, grand trunk road, howrah, jharkhand, nirsa, protestors, rail traffic, railway division, railway official, rajdhani express, road transport services, shutdown