Jharkhand Police recovers the body of Maoist killed in encounterApril 29th, 2010 - 12:54 pm ICT by ANI
Latehar (Jharkhand), Apr 29 (ANI): Jharkhand Police has found the body of a Maoist near Ladi village falling under Barwadi police station of Latehar District here.
It is reported that he was killed in an encounter with the police personnel on Tuesday.
The gunfight between the police personnel and the Maoists took place at around 9.30 p.m. at Ladi village following an attack on a police patrolling team by the rebels.
At this, the police personnel retaliated and forced the Maoists to flee from the spot. They also recovered a loaded rifle near the dead body of the killed Maoist.
“A group of Maoists started firing at the patrolling team. Police also retaliated. During the search operation today in the morning, body of one slain Maoist was found and along with him a loaded .303 rifle was also recovered,” said Latehar Superintendent of Police Kuldip Dwivedi.
However, there are reports that in the cross fire between the police personnel and the Maoists, 30-year-old Jayanti Devi, a resident of Ladi village was also killed.
Bisram Singh, brother-in-law of the deceased woman said that she died on the spot during the encounter.
“We were inside our house and these people (patrolling team) were outside. Suddenly, we heard firing in which my sister-in-law died,” said Bisram Singh, brother-in-law of Jayanti Devi.
This encounter took place during the 48-hour shutdown call given by the Maoists in the three states of Jharkhand, Orissa and West Bengal.
The Maoists had called for a 48-hour shutdown demanding the release of six Maoists, who were arrested earlier.
Earlier this month, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram described the Maoists as anti-poor and anti-development.He had said the Maoists have targeted all instruments of development.”The Naxalites are anti-development and have targeted the very instruments of development - school buildings, roads, telephone towers etc. They know that development will mean the masses, especially poor tribals, wean them away from the grip of Naxalites,” Chidambaram said.In 2009 alone, Maoists have demolished 71 school buildings, 23 Panchayat Bhawans, two power plants. They also destroyed 67 telephone exchanges or mobile towers.Maoists also targeted railway property for 46 times and targeted specific industrial establishments at least 17 times in 2009. (ANI)
- Maoist economic blockade upsets routine life in Orissa - Apr 29, 2010
- Nine Maoists killed in Jharkhand encounter - Jan 28, 2011
- Maoists kill postman in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur District - Apr 21, 2010
- Maoist leader arrested in Orissa's Rayagada District - Apr 22, 2010
- One killed in Jharkhand Maoist attack - Feb 23, 2012
- Jharkhand residents protest against police over civilian death - May 03, 2010
- Maoists kill three villagers in two separate incidents in Jharkhand - Apr 23, 2010
- Jharkhand villagers form anti-Maoist force - Nov 20, 2010
- Maoists attack policemen, blow rail tracks in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- Maoist rivalry kills four in Jharkhand - May 16, 2011
- Maoists attack under construction Bridge, labourers in Jharkhand - Feb 21, 2011
- Jharkhand villagers nab three Maoists - Sep 06, 2010
- Maoists kill three, including cop, on day two of strike (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2010
- Chidambaram says two-pronged strategy will continue to solve Naxalite problem - Dec 07, 2010
Tags: 303 rifle, cross fire, deceased woman, encounter, gunfight, jayanti, kuldip, maoist, maoists, naxalites, orissa, p chidambaram, police station, rebels, school buildings, search operation, sister in law, three states, union home minister, west bengal