Jharkhand in panic over henna chemical reactionSeptember 21st, 2009 - 7:38 pm ICT by ANI
Ranchi, Sep 21(ANI): Panic spread in Jharkhand on Monday after several women complained of mehendi (henna) causing reactions on skin and various other symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.
The incident followed certain rumours reported from Ranchi, Bokaro, Jamshedpur, Lohardagga, Hazaribagh and Dhanbad, which claimed that several people died due to a chemical reaction caused by application of henna.
“On the occasion of Eid ul Fitr, people normally apply henna. But, this time whoever applied henna complained of being sick and various other reactions such as fever, vomiting and nausea,” said Naushad Akhtar, a local.
Meanwhile, some people alleged that it could be a work of miscreants or people trying to sell henna with harmful chemical ingredients, during festival time to clear their stocks.
“It is possible that this mehndi (henna) had harmful chemicals and was supplied to the market purposely during the festival time, so that it can be sold. It has caused various reactions like cold, itching and fever,” said Mohammed Shahid, another local. (ANI)
- Panic in Jharkhand over 'mehndi' chemical reaction - Sep 21, 2009
- After SMSes, Tamil Nadu women see red in mehendi - Aug 20, 2012
- Explosives-laden truck hijacked, recovered in Jharkhand - Jun 09, 2012
- Munda appeals for peace ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 23, 2010
- Munda caught between falling buildings and grumbling leaders - Apr 20, 2011
- Mehndi leaves hundreds with itchy, swollen palms in Orissa (Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Ranch shops shut till noon in support of Anna - Aug 19, 2011
- Lightning kills 11 in Jharkhand - Apr 14, 2011
- Orissa orders testing of mehendi after complaints - Sep 23, 2009
- Jharkhand to take back extra land of PSUs - Apr 22, 2011
- 15 hospitalised after applying mehndi in Orissa - Sep 21, 2009
- Celebrate Holi, but with care - Mar 18, 2011
- Cold wave claims 13 lives in Jharkhand - Jan 03, 2010
- Shutdown against FDI gets good response in Jharkhand - Dec 01, 2011
- Two die of shock in Jharkhand demolition drive - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: bokaro, chemical ingredients, chemical reaction, dhanbad, eid, eid ul fitr, festival time, fever, harmful chemicals, jharkhand, mehndi henna, miscreants, mohammed, rumours, shahid, stocks, vomiting and nausea