Jharkhand CM condemns killing of Marandi’s son (Lead:Marandi’s son)November 14th, 2007 - 2:56 am ICT by admin
Koda, who had spoken to Marandi, will also visit the village.
The Government announced Rs 1 lakh compensation for the families of all those who were killed.
Meanwhile, Deputy Inspector General of Police R K Mullick said the incident took place at Chilkhadia village in Jharkhand’s Giridih District at around 1.00 a.m.
“The incident occurred during a cultural programme when heavily armed naxalites attacked and opened indiscriminate fire on the gathering,” said Mullick.
Marandi’s brother Nunulal, who was also present, escaped unhurt.
Four injured, including two women, are undergoing treatment at Giridih hospital.
Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Arun Kumar Singh said that about 30 Naxalites had mingled with the crowd during the cultural programme organised by Nunulal.
Earlier in the day, Babulal Marandi, who represents the Koderma Lok Sabha constituency, said that the entire nation is their target.
“My family has been the target of Maoist rebels for a long time as we have been fighting against them and organising villagers to rebel against them. Yesterday, their target was my family and since my brother and my son were there in that function they were clear targets for them,” he said.
Giridih is the home district of Babulal Marandi.
In March, Lok Sabha MP from Jamshedpur, Sunil Mahato was shot dead by Naxalities about 40 km from Ranchi while attending a football match.
Jharkhand is one of the 13 states hit by the Maoist insurgency that began more than three decades ago.
According to Home Ministry, 76 districts in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar, Maharashtra, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal are ‘badly affected by Maoist violence’. (ANI)
- Court acquits four suspected Maoists in 2007 massacre - Dec 15, 2011
- Jharkhand police failed to present key witness in massacre case - Dec 15, 2011
- Maoists killed 19 because they couldn't locate one (Flashback) - Jun 23, 2011
- Four Maoists awarded death penalty in Jharkhand - Jun 23, 2011
- Death penalty for four Maoists harsh: Marandi - Jun 23, 2011
- Four Maoists convicted for 2007 massacre of 19 - Jun 22, 2011
- No trace of abducted workers in Jharkhand - Feb 20, 2012
- Hunt on for Naxalite who killed former Jharkhand CM's son(Lead:Marandi's son) - Nov 14, 2007
- Maoists release abducted labourers in Jharkhand - Feb 21, 2012
- Maoists attack policemen, blast rail tracks in Jharkhand - Jun 27, 2012
- With hand fractured, Madhu Koda continues protests - Nov 01, 2011
- Maoists abduct laborers, torch vehicles in Jharkhand - Feb 19, 2012
- Parasnath hills: A synthesis of peace and violence (Feature) - Nov 03, 2010
- Family alleges teen killed in Chhattisgarh staged shootout - Jul 12, 2011
- Maoists unleash attacks in Jharkhand to avenge arrests (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: anup, arun kumar singh, brother, deputy inspector general, home ministry, indiscriminate fire, jharkhand, koda, Lok Sabha, maoist rebels, match, more than three decades, police action, sabha constituency, sunil mahato, target