Jessica Lall case : Supreme Court rejects Manu Sharma’s pleaAugust 10th, 2010 - 8:39 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 10 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed Manu Sharma’s plea, seeking review of the judgement sentencing him to life imprisonment in Jessica Lall murder case.
“There is no merit in the plea,” said a bench comprising Justices P. Sathasivam and Swatanter Kumar refuting to interfere with its earlier judgement.
The Justice Bench said the review petition is being dismissed on the same grounds on which the appeal against the Delhi High Court verdict was rejected.
Earlier on April 19, the apex court upheld the verdict given by the Delhi High Court in the case, convicting prime accused Manu Sharma to life imprisonment. Lall was shot dead by Manu Sharma at the Tamarind Court Cafe restaurant owned by socialite Bina Ramani in South Delhi on April 29, 1999.On December 18, 2006, reversing the order of acquittal recorded by the trial court, the Delhi High Court convicted Sharma and awarded him a life sentence.The High Court also declared two other accused in the case - Vikas Yadav and Amarjeet Singh Gill - guilty for destruction of evidence. They have also challenged their conviction and four-year jail sentence. Sharma is the son of senior Haryana Congress leader Vinod Sharma, while Yadav is the son of Uttar Pradesh politician D.P. Yadav.Earlier, on February 21, 2006, the trial court verdict had acquitted Sharma.Sharma had challenged the conviction in the apex court. Senior counsel Ram Jethmalani, appearing for Sharma, had argued that the judgment was pre-determined to hold the appellant guilty as one of the judges refused to withdraw from the bench. Narrating the sequence of events, Jethmalani alleged that from everyday hearing, it was clear that the bench was going to reverse the acquittal by the trial court. The High Court judgment was ‘nothing but perverse’ and every finding of the trial court was rejected, he said.Appearing for the Delhi Government, Solicitor-General Gopal Subramaniam, justified the conviction and submitted that there was sufficient evidence to convict and sentence Sharma to a life term. (ANI)
- Jessica Lall case: SC upholds Delhi High Court verdict on Manu Sharma - Apr 19, 2010
- Verdict on Manu's plea in Jessica murder likely Monday - Apr 17, 2010
- Witnesses turning hostile has become endemic: High court (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Supreme Court verdict in Jessica Lall murder case today - Apr 19, 2010
- Apex court upholds life for Manu Sharma in Jessica murder case (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Jessica murder: Apex court reject's Manu's plea - Aug 10, 2010
- Jessica Lall case: Defence ends arguments in perjury case - Apr 19, 2011
- Manu deserves life for killing Jessica: Apex court (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Jessica murder case: Family hails Supreme Court verdict - Apr 19, 2010
- Apex court upholds life for Manu Sharma in Jessica murder case (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- SC upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Manu Sharma's parole plea decision Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Acquittal of five in Shivani Bhatnagar murder case contested (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Apex court upholds life for former MP Anand Mohan - Jul 10, 2012
- Rape-murder accused's acquittal reversed; gets life term - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: apex court, bina ramani, congress leader, court judgment, court verdict, delhi government, delhi high court, gopal, jail sentence, jessica lall murder case, life imprisonment, life sentence, manu sharma, ram jethmalani, senior counsel, solicitor general, south delhi, tamarind court, vinod sharma, yadav