JD (U) MLA arrested in Patna for attacking journalists (Lead: Attack on journalists)November 14th, 2007 - 8:14 am ICT by admin
Anant Singh was produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate.
ANI cameraman Ajay Kumar’s hand and camera was broken in the scuffle.
Ajay said that it all started when Prakash Singh, a correspondent of the private news channel NDTV, went to Anant Singh’s residence to get his reaction to a story on the recovery of the body of a dead woman near the Patel Nagar area in Patna.
“When I found out that NDTV correspondent Prakash has been held by the supporters of Anant Singh, I went there along with other media persons. When we reached there, supporters of Anant Singh, who were 20-25 in number, attacked us. They have broken our cameras, watch, mobile everything. They have beaten us brutally and I feel that my left hand is fractured,” said Ajay Singh.
Ajay also confirmed that that Anant Singh and his supporters had snatched Prakash Singh’s car keys, broken his mobile and camera and held him captive for two hours.
Media persons only managed to escape after the arrival of the Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) at the scene.
Prakash Singh said: “Today morning, we called Anant Singh for his reaction on one story. They called us home and they saw my story. Then, his supporters attacked me and beat me with guns, hands and sticks. They held me for two hours. I have bruises on my body. I managed to escape from there somehow when the DSP reached there.”
Patna Police have registered a complaint against Anant Singh who already has two dozens cases filed against him.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) has called for a shutdown across Bihar on Friday in protest against the incident. (ANI)
- ANI journalist severely injured by JD (U) legislator's goons in Patna - Nov 14, 2007
- Attack on media: Nitish relents, agrees for CBI enquiry against JD (U) MLA (Lead-Patna Media Attack) - Nov 14, 2007
- JD-U leader shot dead in Bihar - Aug 30, 2011
- JD (U) MLA attacks journalists in Patna - Nov 14, 2007
- RJD calls for 12-hour Bihar shutdown today - Nov 14, 2007
- Shutdown affects normal life in Bihar - Nov 14, 2007
- Bihar shutdown successful, says Rabri Devi (lead: Bihar shutdown - Nov 14, 2007
- Nitish Kumar congratulates Pranab, invites him to Bihar - Jul 22, 2012
- Varanasi scribes protest attack on media - Nov 14, 2007
- Anant Singh's bail petition comes for hearing today - Nov 14, 2007
- Superb action sequences fail to save badly scripted 'AK 56' (Kannada Movie Review) - Feb 12, 2012
- Washington Post offers no apology for Manmohan story - Sep 06, 2012
- Jharkhand CM expands cabinet, inducts nine ministers - Oct 08, 2010
- 'Naanalla' - engaging tale with fine performances (Kannada Film Review) - Oct 22, 2011
- Sacked army officer to challenge chief's decision - May 29, 2012
Tags: ajay kumar, ajay singh, anant singh, correspondent, dead woman, deputy superintendent, dsp, journalists, judicial magistrate, media persons, mla, ndtv, patel nagar, patna, personal bodyguard, prakash, private news, supporters