Jayalalithaa says LTTE using Sri Lankan Tamils as a human shieldJanuary 18th, 2009 - 2:14 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Jan.18 (ANI): Sri Lankan Tamils are being used as human shields by separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J.Jayalalithaa said on Saturday.
“In Sri Lanka what happens now, Sri Lankan Tamils captured by the LTTE cannot move anywhere. Tamils were used as shield by LTTE. If LTEE keeps them there then there will be dire situation for Sri Lanka’’s innocent Tamils…” the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) leader said.
People of Tamil Nadu have been protesting against the ongoing conflict in Sri Lanka, as regional political groups pressured the Indian Government to stop the war.
Sri Lanka’’s intensifying offensive against the LTTE, which it has fought since 1983 in one of Asia’’s longest insurgencies, has roiled India’’s political scene and prompted heated diplomatic exchanges between the two neighbours.
The Indian Government has urged Sri Lanka to solve the issue through dialogue, and in this regard, Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon is in Colombo to emphasize this point with the Sri Lankan leadership.
The Tigers in Sri Lanka figure on U.S., European Union and Indian terrorism lists for widespread bombings and assassinations.
In 1991, they were charged with killing India’’s former Congress Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi and Sri Lanka has vowed to crush the Tamil Tigers militarily.
India sent peacekeepers to the island nation in 1987, only to withdraw them after losing more than 1,200 men in battle and facing allegations of human rights violations. (ANI)
- Sri Lankan Tamils protest Sonia Gandhi's London visit - Mar 18, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- Tamil Nadu parties again demand India back US UNHRC resolution - Mar 13, 2012
- DMK withdraws from MPs delegation to Sri Lanka - Apr 15, 2012
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- Sri Lanka invites Jaya, Swaraj to visit Colombo in September - Aug 26, 2011
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Karunanidhi warns Centre over UN resolution - Mar 15, 2012
- Fishermen killings: Rao to convey India's concerns to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2011
- Sri Lankan daily criticises India's UN vote - Mar 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
- Attacks on fishermen should be seen as provocation: Jayalalithaa - Oct 09, 2011
- India wishes for settlement of issues between displaced Tamils and Sri Lankan Govt.: Krishna - Aug 25, 2010
- Sri Lanka war crimes: AIADMK dissatisfied with PM's response - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, assassinations, chief minister, conflict in sri lanka, dravida munnetra kazhagam, human rights violations, human shield, human shields, indian government, insurgencies, island nation, j jayalalithaa, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, menon, political groups, rajiv gandhi, separatist liberation tigers, sri lankan tamils, tamil tigers