Jayalalithaa disappointed with Rail BudgetFebruary 25th, 2011 - 8:02 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Feb 25 (ANI): All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) supremo J Jayalalithaa has said that Tamil Nadu has gained little from the Rail Budget, as Mamata Banerjee has announced major projects for Nandigram and Singur, where she had launched a successful political battle some years ago.
“Tamil Nadu has nothing much to exult about. Barring a few suburban trains and a couple of Duranto expresses, no new trains have been announced for the State. Mamata Banerjee has predictably presented the Nation’s Railways Budget, 2011, keeping the Assembly Elections in her home state in mind,” said Jayalalithaa.
“She has announced major projects for Nandigram and Singur where she had launched a successful political battle some years ago. The overwhelming impression that a national resource has been hijacked by the Minister to serve local political ends cannot be dispelled nor denied,” she added.
The AIADMK chief further said Banerjee’s third Railways Budget is a common man’s budget to the extent that it does not envisage any hike in passenger rates.
“Several new projects have been announced. However, with most of the schemes announced in last year’s budget remaining unimplemented, the Union Railways Minister’s track record for project implementation is rather uninspiring,” said Jayalalithaa.
“The Railways Ministry’s finances are in the doldrums. Nothing imaginative has been done to raise additional revenue. This would inflict huge damage on the national economy and push the world’s largest railways network to the brink,” she added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had earlier today said Mamata Banerjee’s budget has been prepared with an eye for upcoming West Bengal assembly polls, while rest of India has been neglected. (ANI)
- Railway budget aims to serve local political ends: Jayalalithaa - Feb 25, 2011
- Kolkata dailies laud Mamata's budget, CPI-M critical - Feb 26, 2011
- Mamata's railway measures to boost West Bengal economy - Feb 25, 2011
- AIADMK to support Jaswant Singh - Aug 06, 2012
- Mamata, the leading lady of Bengali jatra (Feature) - Jul 10, 2011
- Railway budget is curate's egg, says Jayalalithaa - Feb 24, 2010
- Mamata's Rail Budget is West Bengal poll manifesto, says BJP - Feb 25, 2011
- Jayalalithaa to call on PM, may meet Sonia - Jun 13, 2011
- Jayalalithaa pilloried for publicity blitzkreig - May 16, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Sasikala's removal from Poes Garden may be permanent: Commentators - Dec 20, 2011
- Land acquisition: Mamata gets dose of her own medicine - Jan 23, 2011
- Highlights of railway budget 2011-12 - Feb 25, 2011
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- AIADMK releases list of 160 candidates for TN polls - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: aiadmk chief, assembly elections, assembly polls, banerjee, bharatiya janata party, bjp, common man, doldrums, dravida munnetra kazhagam, j jayalalithaa, major projects, nandigram, national economy, national resource, new projects, project implementation, railways, singur, suburban trains, west bengal