Jayalalitha, Ramadoss criticise India’s Sri Lankan policyApril 19th, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
Tirunelveli / Coimbatore, Apr 19 (ANI): Regional Tamil Nadu leaders have slammed New Delhi’s stand on the raging war in Sri Lanka.
All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) party chief J. Jayalalitha said that Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi had failed to stop the ethnic killings of Tamils in the island nation.
“India has been supporting the Lankan Government’s war against the Tamils there. Karunanidhi has not done anything except for dramas like sending telegrams and letters to the Prime Minister and holding fast. He is only interested in the welfare of his own family,” Jayalalitha said while addressing a public rally in Tirunelveli on Saturday.
Senior leader of Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) party S. Ramadoss said that New Delhi has asked the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) to release the civilians rather than calling upon Colombo to cease hostilities.
“External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee had called upon the LTTE to release all the civilians under their control. This is actually the voice of Sri Lankan President MahindaRajapakse. And now, Karunanidhi is repeating the same voice as if the LTTE has kept all the civilians under their control. This statement is like cheating the world, as what Rajapakse is doing now,” S Ramadoss said.
India asked Sri Lanka on Friday to extend a pause in war hostilities to enable civilians trapped in the conflict to leave for secure areas, saying the fate of Tamils could not be ignored.
Indian politicians face pressure to protect Sri Lankan Tamils, who are closely linked to about 60 million Tamils in Tamil Nadu. (ANI)
- Final tally for Tamil Nadu elections - May 14, 2011
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- Now, Ramadoss comes in support of Prabhakaran - Apr 26, 2009
- PMK to be part of the DMK-Congress alliance in Tamil Nadu: - Jan 30, 2011
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- DMK joins hands with PMK for Tamil Nadu assembly polls - Feb 18, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Karunanidhi meets Prime Minister, discusses fishermen killings - Jan 31, 2011
- Karunanidhi writes to PM over Lankan navy killing Indian fisherman - Jan 13, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- Karunanidhi to discuss seat-sharing with PM, Sonia - Jan 31, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamils protest Sonia Gandhi's London visit - Mar 18, 2011
- Vaiko slams Congress for links with DMK despite corruption charges. - Feb 24, 2011
- S Ramadoss wants Sri Lankan envoy to be sent back - Oct 04, 2009
Tags: aiadmk, dravida munnetra kazhagam, ethnic killings, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, indian politicians, jayalalitha, lankan government, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, m karunanidhi, nation india, pranab mukherjee, public rally, ramadoss, sending telegrams, sri lankan president, sri lankan tamils, tirunelveli, war in sri lanka