Japanese boffins unveil life-like robogirlOctober 8th, 2008 - 8:05 pm ICT by ANI
London , Oct 8 (ANI): Scientists in Japan have unveiled a life-like robot that looks like a five-year-old girl.
The team at Osaka University ‘’s robotics department behind the robogirl, known as Repliee R-1, has claimed that it is the most realistic robot suit ever created.
Repliee R-1 has flexible silicone skin and contains dozens of sensors and motors, enabling it to move and interact with its surroundings like a human, reports the Telegraph.
The robogirl, which also has eyes that blink and pig tails, has been designed to do basic tasks for the elderly and disabled, such as fetching objects.
With their new creation, the scientists hope that its life-like features will put people at their ease, and help them get over their reluctance to interact with a robot.
According to reports, Cyberdyne, a robotics firm, hopes to start mass-producing the models within days. (ANI)
- Now a robot helps autistic kids - Mar 09, 2011
- Making human-like robots for easier interaction with people - Mar 08, 2011
- NASA buys life-like humanoid as tour guide - Sep 15, 2010
- Scientists create robot which registers human emotions - Jul 16, 2012
- A living robot who smiles, sings like a girl! - Apr 12, 2012
- Scientists warn robots with knives could accidentally attack humans - May 08, 2010
- Researchers create a living neon sign - Dec 20, 2011
- Iron Man-like exoskeleton designed to help disabled move - Apr 11, 2009
- Humanoid Robot - Robonaut 2 all set to be a part of the shuttle trip - Oct 27, 2010
- Robot marathon to take place in Japan - Feb 25, 2011
- Japan's Robotic actress takes stage - Nov 12, 2010
- Underwater robots to get smaller, cheaper and 'independent' - Nov 24, 2010
- Illusion of three hands can help stroke patients - Feb 24, 2011
- Artificial skin with optical sensors to give robots 'humanly' touch - Dec 02, 2009
- Now, snake 'robots' that may help detect and disable explosives - Jul 30, 2010