Japan concerned over Chinese Navy build up in Indian OceanMarch 11th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 11 (ANI): Japan is very much concerned over the alarming build up by the Chinese Navy in the Indian Ocean and its military presence in Asian countries like Pakistan and Myanmar. This was stated by Japanese defence scholars here today.
Professors Marie Yoshioka Izuyama and Eiichi Katahara of National Institute for Defence Studies, Tokyo, said Japan is also planning to strengthen its missile Defence Capabilities to counter possible missile threats from North Korea.
Katahara, giving a presentation on “Japan towards a ‘normal state: Implications for Asia Pacific” at Observer Research Foundation here today, warned that “if North Korea launches missile attack against Japan, then it would be the end of the Kim Jong II regime.”
He also said that Japan has a very good intelligence gathering capability from North Korea and that would give enough warning time to his country and the US to retaliate appropriately.
Katahara said there is also a big debate going on in his country whether to go for the nuclear umbrella being offered by its ally United States to counter the North Korean nuclear threat.
Katahara, in an answer to a question, said there was no strategic change in the US position towards denuclearisation of North Korea.
“US’s direct talks with North Korea only indicate a tactical shift in its policy of denuclearisation of North Korea. There is no strategic shift in the US position,” he said.
The Japanese professors noted that as part of becoming a “normal state”, the Japan Defence Authority (JSA) has now been (since January 2007) transformed into a full fledged Ministry of Defence with powers to bring in its own legislations to Diet (Parliament).
It has been turned into a “political agency” from the “management agency”, Katahara said. (ANI)
- N-armed Pakistan, Iran threat to Russia - May 04, 2012
- Pentagon urges North Korea to give up missile launch (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Putin, Obama agree to continue missile talks - Jun 19, 2012
- Expert terms North Korea's war threats "bluff" - Jul 26, 2010
- China refutes delivering missile launchers to North Korea - Jun 13, 2012
- US missile defence plans hinder new arms cuts: Russia - Jun 30, 2012
- US vows to go ahead with missile shield - May 11, 2012
- 'Agni-IV better than Pakistan's missile, among world's best' - Nov 16, 2011
- Russian military chief visits US - Jul 10, 2012
- India's missile test is not bad news for the world (Comment) - Apr 22, 2012
- World media looks at Indian missile through China prism - Apr 20, 2012
- North Korea to suspend nuclear activity - Mar 01, 2012
- Russia admits Iranian, North Korean n-threat - Apr 25, 2012
- North Korea's n-activity suspension modest first step: US (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Japan resolution against North Korea's rocket launch - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: chinese navy, defence capabilities, defence studies, eiichi, giving a presentation, intelligence gathering, japanese professors, jsa, kim jong ii, korea launches missile, legislations, military presence, missile attack, missile defence, missile threats, north korea, north korea launches missile, north korean nuclear threat, nuclear umbrella, strategic change