Jammu traders body share cross-LoC trade concerns with EU teamMarch 1st, 2009 - 1:29 pm ICT by ANI
By Tahir Nadeem Khan
Jammu, Mar.1 (ANI): A delegation of the European Union (EU) Troika mission, headed by Czech Ambassador Hynek Kmonicek, visited the Chamber of Commerce, Jammu, today and discussed issues related to cross-border trade.
An appeal was made to the visiting delegation to exert pressure on Pakistan to remove impediments to cross-LOC trade.
In a memorandum submitted to the visiting delegation at a function here, the Chamber of Commerce, Jammu, accused Pakistan of not reciprocating to measures initiated by India and the Jammu and Kashmir Government to boost trade between the two Kashmirs.
The traders also demanded that cross-LoC trade should not be restricted to two days a week, but should be opened throughout the week.
They also referred to the absence of a banking facility for currency exchange, saying that it was a major bottleneck.
The EU Troika team assured all possible help to traders in Jammu and Kashmir.
Ambassador Kmonicek said the EU was formed out nations who fought many wars against each other, and added that bringing them together was an uphill task.
“It took almost a decade to form their union, he added.
The EU today comprises of 27 member countries, all working together with complete coordination among them, he said adding that India and Pakistan shall follow the same path to promote cross-LoC trade.
The delegation assured that it would take up the issue with both India and Pakistan. (ANI)
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- Cross-Kashmir trade mired in problems - Dec 04, 2011
- Cross LoC travel: India unilaterally increases stay period to six months - Mar 26, 2011
- Omar for sustained Indo-Pak dialogue and 'J-K centric' CBMs - Apr 07, 2012
- Cross-LOC trade helps outsiders more, say Jammu locals - Mar 14, 2011
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- Kashmiri traders want more of India-Pakistan trade - Jul 28, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- Increase cross border trade in Kashmir: trade lobby - May 20, 2009
- Cross LoC trade hampered by barter system, lack of banking (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: ambassador, border trade, bottleneck, chamber of commerce, currency exchange, delegation, hynek, impediments, india and pakistan, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, loc, member countries, memorandum, nadeem khan, tahir, trade concerns, troika, uphill task