Jammu Srinagar highway opened for trafficJanuary 2nd, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, Jan 2 (ANI): The Srinagar-Jammu National Highway was thrown open to traffic after it remained closed for two days due to heavy snowfall.
I.G.P traffic H.K. Lohia said both ways traffic would be allowed today.
It was decided not to allow vehicular movement after 6.00 p.m. because of the extremely slippery conditions on the road after sunset.
Four feet of snow had accumulated on the highway during the last two days.
Chilly winds lashed Srinagar and other parts of the Kashmir Valley due to heavy snowfall in the mountains.
The cloud cover over the Valley broke Saturday as the feeble winter sun shone, bringing some warmth to the locals.
The snowfall has ended a two-month dry spell in the Valley as the first snowfall of the winter had taken place earlier than usual on October 22.
The heavy snowfall also led to power disruptions in many parts of the Valley while a large number of telephone connections were also snapped. The electricity supply has been suspended as a precautionary measure. (ANI)
- Srinagar-Jammu highway opened for one-way traffic - Jan 01, 2011
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 06, 2012
- One-way traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to landslides - Feb 24, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning - Feb 14, 2012
- Fresh snowfall in Kashmir, Srinagar-Jammu highway closed - Jan 14, 2011
- Srinagar-Jammu highway open for one-way traffic - Jan 22, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway open to one-way traffic - Jan 10, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed for second day - Feb 05, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway re-opened to traffic - Feb 16, 2012
- Over 1,200 stranded passengers ferried by IAF (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway - Aug 04, 2012
- One-way traffic from Jammu to Srinagar Monday - Jan 23, 2012
- Chill continues in Kashmir, snow and rain likely - Jan 28, 2011
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: chilly winds, cloud cover, dry spell, electricity supply, first snowfall of the winter, four feet, heavy snowfall, kashmir, kashmir valley, locals, lohia, mountains, power disruptions, precautionary measure, slippery conditions, sunset, telephone connections, traffic, warmth, winter sun