Jammu shuts down over Amarnath land transfer issueJuly 16th, 2008 - 5:10 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, July 16 (ANI): Pro-Hindu organisation activists today observed a shutdown in Jammu over the issue of forest land not being transformed to the Amarnath Shrine Board.
It may be recalled that initially the Congress-led State Government of former Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had ordered the transfer of the land to the shrine board, but when Muslims in the Kashmir Valley raised strong objections to the move, the order was withdrawn.
Thereafter, the State Government said that it would be taking responsibility for activities associated with the Amarnath Shrine including staying arrangements for pilgrims, much to the chagrin of Hindus in the state.
Wednesdays shutdown saw shops and business establishments closed and public transport being affected.
Protesters also clashed with policemen and marched through deserted streets.
They said they would keep up their agitation till their demand of restoring the land to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB) was met.
The nearly 100 acres of forestland was to be used for the building of temporary shelters for pilgrims who trek annually to the shrine.
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Amarnath yatra too short, say religious groups - Feb 29, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Hindu groups to view route to Amarnath pilgrimage - Jun 12, 2011
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Preparations for 2012 Amarnath pilgrimage begin - Oct 16, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Groups threaten to start Amarnath Yatra June 3 - May 19, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Amarnath pilgrimage: First prayers offered, but not at shrine - Jun 15, 2011
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: agitation, amarnath shrine, business establishments, chagrin, chief minister, forest land, ghulam nabi azad, hindus, kashmir, kashmir valley, objections, pilgrims, policemen, protesters, public transport, sasb, shrine board, state government, taking responsibility, wednesdays