Jammu man commits suicide over Amarnath land rowJuly 23rd, 2008 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 23 (IANS) A man committed suicide here Wednesday to protest the cancellation of land transfer to Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), eyewitnesses and the police said. Kuldip Kumar Dogra, in his late 20s, appeared at Parade Ground in Jammu and Kashmir’s winter capital, where activists of the Amarnath Yatra Sangarash Samiti (AYSS) were on a hunger strike.
Dogra made an emotional speech to the gathering saying the revocation of the land transfer order to the shrine board had driven him desperate. He said that he was “sacrificing his life for the cause”, eyewitnesses told reporters.
Kuldip, who allegedly had consumed some poisonous substance before he made the speech, fell unconscious. He was taken to a hospital where the doctors declared him dead, the police said.
AYSS is demanding the allocation of nearly 40 hectares of forest land to the SASB, which was first diverted to the shrine board May 26 for setting up temporary prefabricated structures for pilgrims to a cave temple in Himalayas in south Kashmir.
But the issue triggered massive protests in Kashmir. Protesters in the Muslim-majority region charged the plot would be used to settle outsiders and change the demographic character of Kashmir.
The government rescinded the order July 1. That silenced the street protests in the Kashmir valley but ignited a counter agitation in Jammu, where protesters are still demanding allotment of the plot to the shrine board.
- Curfew imposed in Jammu after suicide over Amarnath land row - Jul 24, 2008
- Youth's suicide sets off fresh trouble in Jammu (Lead) - Jul 23, 2008
- Protesters defy curfew as Jammu simmers with anger (Lead) - Jul 24, 2008
- Curfew lifted, protests continue in Jammu - Jul 25, 2008
- Tension over land row heightens, Kashmiris asked to leave Jammu (Lead) - Jul 24, 2008
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Land row: Government starts dialogue with Jammu protesters - Jul 30, 2008
- Another Jammu youth attempts suicide on land row(Second Lead) - Jul 29, 2008
- Curfew lifted, but life remains paralysed in Jammu (Lead) - Jul 29, 2008
- Land row: Curfew imposed in Jammu again - Jul 27, 2008
- Curfew lifted in Jammu - Jul 29, 2008
- Next year, fitness must for Amarnath pilgrims - Oct 22, 2011
- Differences sharpen between Amarnath board, religious groups - May 12, 2012
- Protests in curfew-bound Jammu, leaders arrested - Jul 27, 2008
- Amarnath shrine board members resign - Aug 06, 2008
Tags: amarnath yatra, cave temple, dogra, emotional speech, eyewitnesses, forest land, himalayas, hunger strike, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, massive protests, muslim majority, parade ground, poisonous substance, sasb, shrine board, south kashmir, street protests, winter capital