Jammu Jail inmates ring in Diwali spirit with candlesNovember 14th, 2007 - 10:14 am ICT by admin
“It’s a community induction and acknowledgement. The society owes a responsibility to accept these inmates after they complete their due sentence. These inmates are not a liability for the society, they can be an asset,” said Rajni Sehgal, Jail Superintendent of Jammu’s District Jail in Amphalla.
According to Sehgal, the first lady Jail superintendent of Police from Kashmir, the inmates are busy these days making candles for Diwali.
The 675 inmates, irrespective of caste, colour, creed or religion, have worked as a team along with the jail staff and authorities. Everyone has contributed to the cause of spreading light within and outside the prison walls, Sehgal informed.
Each candle box carries a print “Roshini” or the light to propagate the motto A walk from the dark to light” and appeal the society to look at their endeavours as of reforming individuals and put aside their criminal past in the shimmer of candles.
The candle packets will be put up for sale at various Diwali fairs organised at various places that include Parade Ground, Dussehra Ground, Bakshi Nagar, Satwari area and other places in Jammu.
Candles are being sold for Rs.2 a piece.
It’s been four years since when the programme to prepare candles for Diwali was started at the jail here.
Jail authorities have arranged for Diwali Puja, cultural programme to be followed by distribution of sweets inside the jail on the festive occasion to be celebrated on Friday (November 9) across the country. (ANI)
- Jammu prisoners participate in kite flying festival - Aug 10, 2012
- Inside Jammu jail, comes up music band - Feb 23, 2011
- Bangladeshi prisoners embroider a new life in Jammu jail (Feature) - May 10, 2012
- Quiet Diwali for Tihar Jail's VIP inmates - Oct 27, 2011
- Tihar inmates celebrate Diwali - Nov 05, 2010
- Pipes 'n drums: Jammu jailbirds play a new tune - Mar 28, 2011
- Diwali gift packs, with love from Tihar Jail - Oct 21, 2011
- India celebrates Diwali with prayers, lights, crackers (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2011
- Know your Gandhi? Maharashtra prisoners prepare for test - Sep 30, 2011
- Prisoners to teach other inmates in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 17, 2010
- Festive spirit grips Delhi on Diwali (Lead) - Oct 26, 2011
- Prestigious Catholic school in New York showcases Diwali - Jan 29, 2011
- Prisoners in Bihar celebrate Chhath - Nov 13, 2010
- Giving wings of education to lives behind bars - Apr 03, 2011
- US Senate greets Indian diaspora on Diwali - Oct 26, 2011