Jammu and Kashmir to have new police chief June 1May 26th, 2012 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 26 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Police will have a new police chief June 1 as current incumbent Kuldeep Khoda is retiring May 31.
Khoda made this announcement while addressing a meeting of police officers and media here Saturday.
“As of now, I am hanging my boots May 31. There is nothing more to add on this count,” he said.
Khoda was appointed chief of state police in July 2007. It was during his tenure that difficult situations like the 2008 Amarnath land row agitation, the 2009 protests over the alleged rape and murder of two women in Shopian and the street violence of 2010 broke out.
It was also during his tenure that despite violence and agitations, the Amarnath pilgrimage passed off peacefully.
Regarding speculations about his becoming the first Chief Vigilance Commissioner of Jammu and Kashmir, he said: “Time will tell what would happen.”
There are many top-ranking officers, two from the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and two from the state police itself, in the race for the top post.
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- Prasad to be new chief of J&K; Police - May 28, 2012
- Omar pledges to keep Kashmir trouble-free this summer - Jan 28, 2011
- Kashmiri woman alleges rape by army men - Jul 22, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage security arrangements finalised - Jun 19, 2011
- Army cautions against complacency in counter-insurgency - Aug 05, 2011
- Kashmir Police outstanding, says home secretary - Aug 12, 2011
- K. Rajendra Kumar to be Jammu and Kashmir acting police chief - May 30, 2012
- Hindu groups agree to begin Amarnath yatra June 29 (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Ayodhya verdict: Jammu and Kashmir takes steps to stem trouble - Sep 22, 2010
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Bad weather hampering efforts to clear Amarnath route - May 27, 2012
- Government intervens to resolve Amarnath pilgrimage row - Jun 13, 2011
- Omar orders probe into attack on minister - Dec 12, 2011
- Prasad will be new Kashmir police chief (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - May 28, 2012
Tags: agitation, alleged rape, amarnath, boots, chief of state, difficult situations, intelligence bureau, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, khoda, kuldeep, pilgrimage, police officers, protests, speculations, state police, street violence, tenure, two women, vigilance