Jammu and Kashmir to get its first cancer hospitalMarch 29th, 2009 - 7:55 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, March 29 (IANS) The first cancer hospital is coming up by December in Jammu and Kashmir, where the disease is witnessing a sharp increase.
The cancer hospital, being constructed by the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine Board (SMDSB), will come up at Karyal near Katra, about 40 km north of here, Govenor N.N. Vohra said Sunday.
Cancer cases are on the rise in the state, particularly in the Jammu region. Last year the Government Medical College in Jammu received more than 1,400 new cases, followed by more than 1,300 in 2007, 1,266 in 2006, 1,185 in 2005, 1,168 in 2004, 1,058 in 2003, 996 in 2002, 952 in 2000, 901 in 1999, 937 in 1998 and 803 in 1997.
The proposed cancer hospital is part of the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Institute of Medical Excellence (SMVDIME).
Vohra, who is the chairman of the shrine board, was speaking at the second governing council meeting of the SMVDIME.
The meeting approved the draft recruitment rules and the bylaws as well as various other agenda items after detailed discussions. These included an identification of the super-specialties to be established in the first phase and a calendar to purchase equipments.
- Over five million pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi till June - Jul 04, 2012
- President arriving in Jammu - Nov 24, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage resumes after forest fire (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Kashmir had record 12 million tourists - Dec 31, 2011
- Vaishno Devi pilgrimage suspended due to forest fire - Jun 23, 2012
- Record pilgrims visit Vaishno Devi - Dec 25, 2011
- Heavy rush of pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - May 15, 2012
- President to visit Kashmir - Nov 05, 2011
- Now, ropeway for pilgrims to Vaishno Devi shrine - Sep 23, 2011
- Land slips on Vaishno Devi shrine route to be checked - Feb 12, 2011
- Sreedharan on Vaishno Devi Board - Mar 27, 2012
- Now, e-tickets for chopper ride to Vaishno Devi - Apr 29, 2011
- Vaishno Devi shrine has record 10 million pilgrims - Dec 28, 2011
- Chidambaram in Jammu, visits Vaishno Devi - Apr 10, 2012
- Five killed in Jammu bus accident - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: bylaws, cancer cases, cancer hospital, governing council meeting, government medical college, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, katra, medical excellence, recruitment rules, shri mata vaishno devi shrine board, vaishno devi shrine, vaishno devi shrine board, vohra