Jammu and Kashmir Salvation Movement activists protest human rights violationNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:37 am ICT by admin
The protestors carrying placards and banners held a sit-in demo to protest against the custodial killings and demanded the repealing of the Armed Forces Special Power Act in the valley.
“So many innocents have been killed by the army men and other security agencies in Kashmir since 1947 till today. There is only one solution to it and that is the withdrawal of troops from Kashmir and the repeal of the special powers act AFAPA (Armed Forces Special Power Act) only then Kashmiris can survive,” said Bhat.
The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act was passed on September 11, 1958 by the Parliament.
It was passed to enable certain special powers to be conferred upon the armed forces in disturbed areas in the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura. (ANI)
- J-K police foils separatist protest - Dec 31, 2009
- Kashmir problem is core issue between India, Pakistan: Mirwaiz Umar Farooq - Jul 11, 2010
- AFPSA beomes a contentious political issue - Sep 13, 2010
- Omar cancels unified command meet to protest civilian deaths in J-K - Aug 13, 2010
- Kashmir interlocutors submit report, focus on 'meaningful autonomy' (Round-up) - Oct 12, 2011
- I'm facilitating centre-Hurriyat talks: Soz - Oct 27, 2011
- Restraint by security forces in Kashmir demanded - Aug 11, 2010
- Kashmir interlocutors submit report, focus on development - Oct 12, 2011
- Manipur rights activist gets 100,000 dollar Tagore Peace Prize - Sep 12, 2010
- Syed Ali Shah Geelani wants Pakistan to step-up diplomatic efforts - Feb 11, 2011
- Kashmir crisis: All-party meet to decide on AFSPA (Night Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- Will Eid package bring peace? Kashmir has fingers crossed (News Analysis) - Sep 07, 2010
- Repeal immunity law in Kashmir, says rights group - Sep 17, 2010
- Chidambaram reviews security situation in Kashmir - Oct 27, 2011
- Talks on for withdrawal of special powers act: Omar - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: aphc, armed forces, army men, arunachal pradesh, custodial killings, disturbed, freedom conference, human rights violation, jammu and kashmir, jksm, manipur, meghalaya, mizoram, movement activists, power act, protest human rights, salvation movement, security agencies, special power, special powers