Jammu and Kashmir legislators vote for new presidentJuly 19th, 2012 - 2:42 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 19 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir legislators began gathering at the assembly complex here much before voting began Thursday to elect India’s 13th president.
The Bharatiya Janata Party’s Jugal Kishore was the first to cast his vote after the process began in this summer capital.
The state has 87 elected legislators, all of whom are eligible to vote for the country’s president.
The ruling Congress-National Conference alliance in the state is supporting former finance minister and United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee for the post.
The opposition People’s Democratic Party (PDP), which has 21 legislators in the assembly, has also decided to support Mukherjee.
- Pranab to visit Kashmir to scout for support - Jul 08, 2012
- Pranab visits Kashmir on poll campaign - Jul 15, 2012
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- Vote count on for presidential poll (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- DMK calls meeting to discuss presidential polls - Jul 10, 2012
- Parties begin as Pranab set for victory (Third Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab is India's next president, Sangma bruised (Intro Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab heads for Rashtrapati Bhavan, Sangma bruised (Roundup) - Jul 22, 2012
- Counting of presidential poll votes begins (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Cross-voting in Karnataka setback to Sangma - Jul 22, 2012
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- India to elect new president Thursday - Jul 18, 2012
- War erupts in Kashmir's BJP unit - May 31, 2011
Tags: 13th president, bharatiya janata party, congress, democratic party, finance minister, India, jammu and kashmir, jugal, kashmir, kishore, legislators, new president, opposition, pdp, pranab mukherjee, progressive alliance, srinagar, vote