Jammu and Kashmir employees’ march foiledJune 14th, 2012 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 14 (IANS) Security forces Thursday intercepted dozens of protesting Jammu and Kashmir government employees, foiling a march to the civil secretariat here in the state’s summer capital.
The employees, led by union leaders Abdul Qayoom Wani and Farooq Trali, gathered at Exhibition Road in the afternoon and started marching towards the secretariat, where offices of the chief minister, his cabinet colleagues and senior bureaucrats are located.
Police and Central Reserve Police Force personnel in riot gear used coloured water canons to disperse the protesters who refused to relent despite heavy deployment of security forces in the area.
“We want justice. Down with police high-handedness,” the employees shouted as around a dozen of them were whisked away in police vehicles to stop the march.
The employees are demanding raising of their retirement age from 58 to 60, regularisation of daily wage, ad hoc and contractual employees and removal of pay anomalies.
The employees say the government accepted their demands through an agreement signed Sept 15, 2011, but is now backing out.
The government says it is considering the demands and has asked the employees to shun the path of agitation.
- Employees' march foiled in Srinagar, dozens arrested - Jun 16, 2012
- Employees' strike cripples work in J&K; offices - May 24, 2012
- Water canons used on Kashmir employees, 24 held - Jun 13, 2012
- Striking government employees held in Srinagar - May 26, 2012
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Government employees protest in Srinagar - Apr 10, 2012
- Police scramble to control ruckus outside Mohali stadium - Mar 28, 2011
- Police break up state employees' protest in Srinagar - Apr 17, 2012
- Police baton charge agitating employees in Srinagar - Aug 12, 2009
- J-K public transport employees protest, clash with police - Oct 29, 2009
- Protesting power department workers baton charged by Srinagar police - Jan 04, 2010
- Employees' strike paralyses Kashmir offices - Apr 17, 2012
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- During Ramzan, no one notices Kashmir's fasting teachers - Aug 05, 2011
- Police foil employees' march in Srinagar, scores detained - May 09, 2012
Tags: bureaucrats, cabinet colleagues, chief minister, civil secretariat, coloured water, contractual employees, exhibition road, farooq, government employees, handedness, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, police vehicles, reserve police, retirement age, riot gear, trali, union leaders, wani, water canons