Jammu and Kashmir employees call off strike (Lead)April 14th, 2010 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu/Srinagar, April 14 (IANS) After the Jammu and Kashmir High Court declared the employees’ 12-day strike illegal, 4.5 lakh government employees across the state ended their work stoppage Wednesday. The employees have also been assured that their demands on salary arrears and retirement age would be met within three months.
“After the high court’s observations in Srinagar Tuesday, we have decided to call off our stir in the interests of the people,” Abdul Gafoor Dar, a senior leader of the Employees’ Joint Action Committee (EJAC), said Wednesday.
Dar said he and other leaders of the EJAC have appealed to “all our colleagues to join duty on April 15″.
The strike has also been suspended following assurances from state Chief Minister Omar Abdullah that demands on salary arrears and retirement age would be met within three months.
Khurshid Alam, president of EJAC, told reporters that the agitation has been suspended following assurances by the chief minister.
“We have decided to suspend the agitation on the assurances of the chief minister and hope all our arrested colleagues would soon be released by the government,” Alam said.
He also confirmed that the leaders of the striking employees have been invited for talks by the chief minister.
State government employees across Jammu and Kashmir were on strike for the past 12 days, demanding payment of arrears following a hike in salaries on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission and for raising the retirement age from the present 58 to 60 years.
- Striking Jammu and Kashmir employees return to work - Apr 14, 2010
- Employees' strike affects work in Kashmir - Jul 18, 2011
- Government employees protest in Srinagar - Apr 10, 2012
- Strike paralyses Jammu and Kashmir government offices (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Kashmir employees extend strike till April 17 (Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Kashmir government employees strike work for second day - Jan 22, 2010
- Employees' strike cripples work in J&K; offices - May 24, 2012
- Leader of striking employees held in Kashmir - Apr 07, 2010
- Kashmir employees extend strike till April 19 - Apr 11, 2010
- 4,000 Kashmir employees call off strike (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
- Employees continue strike, Omar Abdullah offers fresh talks - Apr 09, 2010
- Striking employees' march not to be allowed in Kashmir - Apr 10, 2010
- Agitating Kashmir employees hold talks with government - May 15, 2010
Tags: action committee, agitation, april 14, assurances, chief minister, colleagues, ejac, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, retirement age, salaries, salary arrears, srinagar, state chief, state government employees, striking employees, three months, work stoppage