Jallianawala Bagh, ‘a turning point’ in Indian freedom struggle: AntonyApril 14th, 2010 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Apr 14 (ANI): Paying tributes to martyrs of the Jallianawala Bagh massacre, Defence Minister AK Antony said he was proud as an Indian to be standing at the same place where over 20, 000 people had gathered, defying the draconian dictat of British forces.
At least 379 people had lost their lives and thousands were injured when Brigadier General Reginald Dyer ordered British troops to open fire on unarmed demonstrators in Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar on April 13, 1919.
“It’s a holy place for entire India as many freedom fighters had lost their lives for the cause of liberty,” Antony said on Wednesday.
The Defence Minister described the Jallianawala Bagh as ‘a turning point’ in our freedom struggle and said the freedom struggle gathered momentum in subsequent years.
He appealed to the countrymen to rededicate themselves to achieve the unfulfilled aspirations of our forefathers- that of a strong, united and developed India.
Antony along with Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni and other dignitaries also dedicated a light and sound show to the people, depicting the massacre.
Hundreds of people from different parts of Punjab watched in pensive silence the depiction of a dark chapter of Indian history — the Jallianawala Bagh massacre. (ANI)
- A walk into Jallianwala Bagh on 66th Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Queen's apology sought for Jallianwala massacre - May 25, 2011
- Inspired by Hazare, Amritsar residents pay tribute to Jallainwala Bagh martyrs - Apr 13, 2011
- Maharashtra village honours cop with 'Gen. Dyer Award'! (With Images) - Mar 07, 2010
- Tribals Call Goa DGP 'General Dyer' (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- Last survivor of Jallianwala Bagh massacre dies - Jun 29, 2009
- Tribals call Goa DGP 'General Dyer' - Jun 20, 2011
- Punjab offers house, pension to Jallianwala Bagh hero's son - Jul 29, 2009
- Sweets and greetings exchanged at Attari border - Aug 15, 2011
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
- This is second freedom struggle: Hazare - Jun 08, 2011
- Supporters compare Ramdev's removal to Jallianwala - Jun 05, 2011
- Action fascist, BJP to observe satyagraha: Gadkari - Jun 05, 2011
- Shivraj Patil visits Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh - Jan 28, 2010
- Bad idea to make film on Mumbai attacks: Vikram Bhatt - Dec 03, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,