Jaitapur nuclear power project discussed by Manmohan Singh and ChavanApril 26th, 2011 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 26 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan met the Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh, here today to discuss the fate of the controversial Jaitapur nuclear power project.
The meeting assumes importance owing to the growing protests against the ambitious 9,900 MW nuclear power project.
Minister of State for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh was also present in the meeting that was held at Dr. Singh’s official 7 RCR residence.
Chavan had on Monday convened a meeting with senior officials and his Cabinet colleagues, including Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar, Home Minister R R Patil and Industries Minister Narayan Rane to review the situation in Jaitapur.
The Jaitapur nuclear power complex is located in the ecologically sensitive coastal Maharashtra region, which includes Raigad, Sindhudurg and Ratnagiri districts.
Nuclear Power Corporation of India is building the 9900-megawatt power plant - said to be the world’s largest - in collaboration with French nuclear designing firm Areva.
The Union Environment Ministry had last month given a conditional go-ahead to the plant. However, it is facing staunch opposition from people of the area, who fear environmental degradation in the fragile Konkan area.
The agitation against the project has the support of Shiv Sena, the Opposition party in Maharashtra. (ANI)
- Maharashtra CM Chavan ready to hold discussions over Jaitapur project - Dec 29, 2010
- Environment Ministry defends Jaitapur project - Dec 29, 2010
- Prithviraj Chavan bats for Jaitapur nuclear project - Feb 26, 2011
- Nuclear plant in Maharashtra's Jaitapur cleared: says Ramesh (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- German bank pulls out of Jaitapur nuclear project: Greenpeace - Mar 15, 2011
- Villagers continue to agitate over proposed Jaitapur nuke power project - Feb 27, 2011
- Sack Rane for threatening anti-nuke activists: Maharashtra party - Jan 23, 2011
- Malafide protests against Jaitapur will not be tolerated: Narayan Rane - Jan 21, 2011
- Uddhav takes on Chavan for pro-Jaitapur remarks - Feb 27, 2011
- Anti-Jaitapur activists allege Rane disrupted their protest - Jul 11, 2011
- Court issues notice on suit challenging Jaitapur n-plant - Apr 12, 2012
- Prove bribery allegation or quit, Bal Thackeray dares Chavan (Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Anti-nuke activists plan 'jail bharo' - Jan 12, 2012
- Jaitapur n-plant site issue being politicised, says Ramesh (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Shiv Sena got Rs.5 bn to oppose Jaitapur: Narayan Rane - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: ajit pawar, areva, cabinet colleagues, chavan, deputy chief minister, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, environmental degradation, home minister, industries minister, maharashtra chief minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, megawatt power plant, nuclear power corporation, nuclear power project, opposition party, ratnagiri, shiv sena, sindhudurg