Jairam Ramesh expresses concern over mortality rate of animals in zoosAugust 2nd, 2010 - 6:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 2 (ANI): Minister of State for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh on Monday said the mortality rate of animals in the zoos is a cause of concern, but not alarming.
The mortality rate is between six to seven percent, which is low compared to international ratio. It is not possible to make new zoos, but the proposal to relocate some of them housed in congested areas is under active consideration of the Ministry of Environment and Forests,” said Ramesh.
“The central zoo authority only oversees the implementation of the rules and regulations and accordingly grants or cancels their recognition, but State Governments are responsible for their upkeep and administration,” he added replying to the supplementaries in the Rajya Sabha today.
Jairam Ramesh further said restructuring of the central zoo authority is high on the agenda of the Government and steps are being taken to set up five regional offices of zoo authority to strengthen 198 zoos in the country. (ANI)
- Indian zoos to be graded on performance - Apr 10, 2012
- Plan to increase river dolphin population: Jairam - Mar 08, 2011
- Delhi zoo looks at better upkeep - with its own revenue - Feb 10, 2012
- Technical group to study Mumbai's coastal road proposal - Apr 15, 2011
- India to launch forestry satellite in 2013 - Aug 09, 2010
- Andaman tribals not primitive: Jairam Ramesh - Aug 09, 2010
- Tiger panel office to come up in Nagpur - Apr 15, 2011
- PETA opposes sending elephants to Turkmenistan - Oct 28, 2010
- Kolkata zoo to get kangaroos - May 19, 2011
- Self-help groups to get loans at lower rates: Jairam Ramesh - Jun 21, 2011
- Jairam hails apex court's ruling on Meghalaya mining - Jul 07, 2011
- PM's aide blocking Athirapally power project: Kerala minister - May 12, 2011
- Panel proposes cess on hotels around tiger reserves - Jun 02, 2011
- Jaitapur will be implemented, declares Jairam Ramesh - Apr 15, 2011
- Forest, tree cover increasing, says Ramesh - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: animals, aug 2, grants, implementation, jairam ramesh, minister of state, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, mortality rate, New Delhi, proposal, rajya sabha, regional offices, restructuring, state governments, upkeep, zoo