Jairam Ramesh announces global auction of seized Red SandersJune 18th, 2010 - 1:15 pm ICT by ANI
Tirupati, June 18 (ANI): Minister of State for Environment and Forest (Independent Charge) Jairam Ramesh has announced that 6,000 tonnes of seized Red Sanders wood would be auctioned through the global tender process.
Red Sanders is a moderate sized deciduous tree used locally for the manufacture of Hindu idols, pictures, frames, dolls and household containers.
“According to the state government, about 6,000 tonnes of Red Sanders has been seized and is lying in different godowns. The request was made by the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh that we should give the state government permission to dispose off these smuggled Red Sanders,” Ramesh told reporters here on Thursday.
He said the auction is a one-time permission and won’t be granted again.
“It’s a one-time permission to dispose off 6,000 tonnes by global auction. This permission would not be granted again in the future. Global tender does not mean restricted only to few parties in and around Hyderabad,” said Ramesh.
Red Sanders occurs in an area of 15,000 square kilometres in the southeastern part of the Indian peninsula.
Increasing demand in the international market of red sanders wood has led to rampant smuggling in the region. As a result, godowns are flooded with seized contraband red sanders wood. (ANI)
- Red sanders en route to China seized in Himachal - Dec 09, 2011
- Banned wood found at former legislator's house - Sep 04, 2012
- Himachal police zero in on rare wood smuggler - Sep 10, 2010
- Police seize bribe money in rare wood smuggling case - Sep 22, 2010
- Seized red sanders wood was en route to China - Aug 27, 2010
- International racket behind rare wood smuggled to China: Police (Lead) - Aug 28, 2010
- Turkey seized 11 tonnes of hashish in 2011 - Dec 17, 2011
- 1.3 tonnes hashish seized in Turkey - Jan 06, 2012
- Smuggling on the rise in US: Report - Apr 09, 2011
- Assam's international airport a hub for smuggling wildlife products? - Jun 21, 2010
- Tripura police nab dog traffickers - Apr 06, 2012
- 10 kg heroin seized in Punjab, 3 held - Feb 02, 2011
- 47 tonnes of hashish seized in Turkey in 2011 - Mar 15, 2012
- Britain to recycle diapers into roof tiles - Sep 13, 2011
- Smuggled goods worth $15 mn seized in Colombia - May 08, 2010
Tags: chief minister, deciduous tree, dolls, global auction, global tender, government permission, hindu, household containers, indian peninsula, minister of state, ramesh, red sanders, square kilometres, state government, tirupati, tonnes