Jagdish Tytler gets clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots caseApril 2nd, 2009 - 1:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 2 (ANI): Former Union Minister Jagdish Tytler was on Thursday given a clean chit by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
De-sealing its final investigation report in a court, the CBI has recommended quashing of FIR against Tytler.
The CBI counsel told Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Rakesh Pandit that “We have filed the cancellation report in the matter and want to close the investigation.”
H S Phoolka, counsel for Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee, raised objections over the alleged leak of the report to Tytler who had claimed innocence in the case.
The court will hear the matter on April 9.
On March 28, the CBI filed the report in a sealed envelope before Metropolitan Magistrate Ram Lal Meena.
Tytler was among the three prominent leaders named in the reports on anti-Sikh riots. Two other leaders named were Sajjan Kumar and the late HKL Bhagat.
The 1984 anti-Sikh riots, which claimed the lives of almost 3000 Sikhs, were triggered by the assassination of Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984 by two of her Sikh bodyguards. (ANI)
- Tytler given clean chit in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case - Apr 27, 2010
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots: CBI seeks dismissal of case against Tytler - Jul 24, 2010
- Sikhs demand death sentence for Sajjan Kumar, Jagdish Tytler - May 05, 2010
- Delhi court to decide Jagdish Tytler's fate today - Apr 09, 2009
- Delhi court to consider CBI's report on Tytler's involvement in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Apr 02, 2009
- CBI submits investigation report on Tytler's involvement in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Mar 28, 2009
- Don't close riots case probe against Tytler, court told (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Court adjourns verdict on Tytler till April 28 - Apr 09, 2009
- CBI gives Tytler clean chit in 1984 riots case, Sikhs protest (Lead) - Apr 02, 2009
- I will react only after court's judgement: Tytler - Apr 09, 2009
- Sajjan claims right to confront witness with proof - May 23, 2012
- 1984 riots case: CBI terms witness 'unreliable' - Dec 01, 2009
- Court likely to decide Tytler's fate Thursday - Apr 08, 2009
- CBI clean chit to Tytler timed with polls in mind, say angry Sikhs - Apr 02, 2009
- Court postpones hearing on Tytler amid Sikh protests (Third Lead) - Apr 09, 2009
Tags: anti sikh riots, assassination of indira gandhi, cbi, central bureau of investigation, clean chit, fir, hkl bhagat, indira gandhi, investigation report, jagdish tytler, lal, magistrate, management committee, meena, objections, october 31, rakesh, sikh gurudwara, sikhs, union minister