J-K locals condemn killing of two sisters by Lashkar militantsFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 9:36 pm ICT by ANI
Sopore, Feb 3 (ANI): The people staged a sit-in-protest in Sopore town of Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla District on Thursday to condemn the killing of two teenaged sisters girls allegedly by the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants.
The agitated men and women of Sopore said the incident had made the local women fearful for their safety.
“We gathered here to condemn the brutal killings of our sisters. This should have not happened. After this incident, it is difficult for our women to go out. We truly condemn it and want that the women should be provided with proper security. The culprits should be severely punished,” said Mukhtar Ahmed, a relative of deceased girls.
It has not yet been ascertained why the militants targeted the sisters but sources say it could be because the girls or their family were suspected of being police informers.
Ahmed, however, maintained that the girls were innocent, and called upon the political leadership for a solution to such killings.
“The answer should be given by the government, leaders of the state, Hurriyat leaders and Omar Abdullah (Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir). All the leaders must come in front and answer because at the end, whomsoever it is, it is we, the poor people, who get killed,” he added.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has strongly condemned the killing and said: “Full details about the Sopore incident has yet not come, but it’s quite sad that no condemnation of this killing by militants is coming out. If there was any whiff or suggestion that security forces had killed civilians, then the entire valley would have been up in flames.”
The militants killed the two sisters Arifa, 17, and Akhtar, 20, after kidnapping them from their home. (ANI)
- Sajjad Lone defends separatists silence over killing of Kashmiri girls - Feb 01, 2011
- Lashkar militants gun down two sisters in Sopore - Feb 01, 2011
- Militants kill two sisters in Kashmir, Omar condemns incident - Feb 01, 2011
- Militant in Sopore sisters' murder gunned down - Mar 13, 2011
- LeT, United Jehad Council condemn Sopore murders - Feb 03, 2011
- Lashkar behind killing of Kashmir sisters, Omar says shame (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- Condemn civilian killing by guerrillas, Omar dares separatists - Jul 25, 2011
- Wanted LeT militant killed in J-K encounter - Mar 28, 2011
- Track Sopore girls' killers speedily, says Chidambaram - Feb 04, 2011
- Top Lashkar militant, involved in cleric's murder, gunned down - Sep 13, 2011
- Sopore encounter ends, two militants shot dead - Mar 13, 2011
- Security heightened after bid on Kashmir minister's life - Dec 12, 2011
- Omar condemns religious leader's assassination - Apr 08, 2011
- National Conference activist shot in Kashmir - Feb 05, 2011
- LeT militant killed in a shootout - May 21, 2012
Tags: arifa, brutal killings, civilians, condemnation, culprits, entire valley, flames, government leaders, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir chief minister, locals, men and women, militants, political leadership, proper security, security forces, sit in protest, two sisters, whiff