J-K govt shifts to winter capital JammuNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:31 am ICT by admin
Soon after the opening of the civil secretariat in Jammu, the Chief Minister told reporters that he was hopeful that normalcy would return to Pakistan.
“We hope normalcy returns to Pakistan. For last three to four years the relation of India and Pakistan had improved regarding Kashmir. I hope things become normal in Pakistan it is not only good for Pakistan, but also for India as any turbulence in Pakistan effects our state directly,” said Azad.
The bi-annual practice of shifting the seat of government for six months to Jammu and for the remaining six months to Srinagar is also known as “Darbar Move.” It has been inherited from the erstwhile Dogra rulers, dating back to the 19th century.
The Dogra rulers, who hailed from Jammu region, used to shift the royal court locally known as “Durbar” to Srinagar about 300 kms away for six months with the onset of summer, as mercury in Srinagar dips as low as minus 10 degrees centigrade in winter months while Jammu, in the plains, remains relatively warm. (ANI)
- Kashmir 'durbar' moves to Jammu - Nov 09, 2011
- Facelift for Srinagar makes residents fume (Letter from Srinagar) - May 03, 2012
- No link between Al-Qaeda and militancy in Kashmir: Omar - May 09, 2011
- Complete shutdown in Jammu against Omar's accession remark - Nov 08, 2010
- Omar government's Darbar move on schedule - Oct 05, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir to undertake Darbar move from Oct.29 - Oct 05, 2010
- Kashmir Youth Congress chief in trouble over remarks - Oct 06, 2010
- Kashmir gears up for capital shift from Jammu to Srinagar - Apr 29, 2008
- There is nothing like agitational terrorism: Omar Abdullah (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- There is nothing like agitational terrorism: Omar Abdullah - Nov 09, 2009
- Traditional 'Durbar Move' sees Civil Secretariat shifting to Srinagar - May 02, 2010
- Omar Abdullah rules out assembly dissolution for dialogue - Nov 09, 2009
- Civil secretariat reopens in Srinagar after six months - May 10, 2010
- SBI flayed for shifting branch control to Jammu - Apr 19, 2012
- National Conference-Congress to meet - Oct 30, 2011
Tags: 300, azad, chief minister, civil secretariat, darbar, degrees centigrade, dips, erstwhile, hopeful, imposition, india and pakistan, jammu region, kashmir, locally known, normalcy returns, rulers, six months, srinagar, turbulence, winter capital