ITC Maurya to welcome Obamas’ with shehnais and women dressed in lehengasNovember 7th, 2010 - 11:52 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.7 (ANI): US President Barack Obama and his wife and US First Lady Michelle Obama will get a classical and traditional welcome when they arrive at the ITC Maurya Hotel, where they will be staying on Sunday and Monday.
Hotel sources said that Shehnais, which are used popularly in north Indian weddings, would be played in the background as America’s first couple and their car cavalcade enters the hotel premises. Women dressed in lehengas and saris would receive the Obamas’ at the VIP entrance of the hotel on Sunday afternoon.
The sources said that the hotel will use customized table linen and tableware for the US President and his wife. According to a national daily, flower decorations will consist of orchids in pastel shades.
Arrangements have been made to have fitness equipment in the Obamas’ suite to make sure he doesn’t miss his workout in spite of his packed official schedule in Delhi.
As far as the menu is concerned, the hotel’s famed Bukhara Restaurant has revealed that it is engaged in preparing an “Obama Platter”.
A select group of chefs is expected to prepare a range of dishes that could include fish, lamb, chicken and potatoes. The menu for the Obamas’ is expected to be larger than the menus prepared for former president Bill Clinton and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when they visited the national capital between 2000 and 2009.
According to hotel sources, seven dishes have been finalized for the Obama Platter, and they includes succulent dishes such as Murg Khurchan, Fish Tikka, Sikandari Raan, Tandoor Aloo (potatoes) and Reshmi Kebab. The meal is expected to be rounded up with traditional Indian sweetmeats such as Ras Malai and Kulfi.
The Bukhara is famous for its North Indian, Mughlai and North West frontier cuisine, and the chefs have been quoted as saying that they are preparing dishes keeping the likes and dislikes of the Obamas’ in mind.
The Obamas’ may also visit another famous restaurant of the hotel - the Dum Pukht, which has just been renovated. They are expected to savour some of its dishes as well during their stay. (ANI)
- Bukhara's 'Obama Platter' waits for the Obamas - Nov 08, 2010
- US president liked Maurya's special Obama Platter (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Obama barely had time to sample platter - Nov 09, 2010
- Obama will have to dine Indian style at Bukhara - Oct 31, 2010
- A hat-trick of presidential honour for ITC Maurya - Oct 25, 2010
- Barack's platter: Will it be Obama malai tikka burger? - Oct 26, 2010
- Hillary gets her own platter alongside Bill and Chelsea - Jul 20, 2009
- US president wants to create 'Obama Platter' on India visit - Jun 04, 2010
- A mouthful of 'tricolour' dishes (With Images) - Aug 13, 2012
- Humble egg in exotic avatars in Indian gourmet kitchens (With Image) - Mar 23, 2012
- Chef's table week, unique concept taking root in India (With Images) - Feb 19, 2012
- Rashtrapati Bhavan chefs to learn cooking fish Bengali style? - Jul 22, 2012
- Vivid platters for Eid this year (With recipes) - Nov 06, 2011
- Pakistanis cook a platter, forge cultural bonds - Apr 15, 2012
- Special menus in Mumbai hotels for Republic Day - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: barack obama, bukhara restaurant, flower decorations, former president bill clinton, hillary clinton, hotel premises, indian sweetmeats, indian weddings, likes and dislikes, malai, michelle obama, mughlai, north west frontier, pastel shades, president bill clinton, raan, reshmi, table linen, traditional welcome, vip entrance