Israels envoy in India says Pak suspects linked to al-Qa”idaDecember 5th, 2008 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec.5 (ANI): Israel’’s Ambassador to India, Mark Sofer, has claimed that the Pakistan-based terrorists that masterminded last weeks massacre in Mumbai may be linked to the al-Qa”ida international terror network.
The Independent quoted Ambassador Sofer as saying: “Is this small organization (Lashkar-e-Toiba), part of a much wider global jihadi group, such as al-Qa”ida? I fear the answer to that is yes.”
Sofer, however, declined to speculate on whether India might carry out retaliatory strikes against militant camps inside Pakistan and noted that the Indian government had opted to raise diplomatic pressure on Pakistan to co-operate in the investigation.
“We were forced in the Middle East to move into other areas to counteract terrorist attacks. I think India will have to think very carefully,” he added.
Sofer said that anti-Semitic attacks were unknown in India and suggested it was no coincidence that the attackers targeted the ultra-orthodox Jewish centre, which served as a hostel for Jewish backpackers and businessmen.
The New York Times yesterday quoted Indian police as saying that evidence had emerged to suggest that the six hostages at the Jewish centre had been tortured. Sofer has disputed these claims. (ANI)
- US envoy asks Pak to act tough on 26/11 plotters - May 04, 2011
- US secrecy over Osama killing operation lays bare deep distrust of its Pakistani 'allies' - May 03, 2011
- Israel pays tribute to 26/11 victims at Mumbai's Jewish centre - Jan 14, 2010
- Iraq's Al-Qaeda suicide bombers heading towards Afghanistan, Pak - May 28, 2010
- Jon Voight calls Time Magazine as 'Anti Semitic' - Sep 16, 2010
- Pammi wants Israel's ultra-orthodox men to go topless! - Nov 08, 2010
- Tempt us not, Lady, blurred are our glasses - Aug 11, 2012
- Home ministry warns India-Oz WC quarterfinal a possible terror target - Mar 24, 2011
- UAE court tries Pak brothers charged for running 'Qa'eda-linked jihadi group' - Dec 28, 2010
- Oliver Stone in soup over comments on Jews, Hitler - Jul 27, 2010
- 26/11 ravaged Mumbai Jewish centre to be revived - Jun 17, 2010
- Centre hints at sending a team to question Headley - Mar 22, 2010
- US terror suspect Headley visited Pushkar in March 2009 - Dec 03, 2009
- Think Tank proposes plan to teach Oz students about Islam - Jul 11, 2010
- US travel advisory for citizens on terror-threat countries includes India and Pakistan - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: ambassador, attackers, backpackers, businessmen, coincidence, diplomatic pressure, hostel, india mark, indian government, indian police, international terror, jewish centre, mumbai terror attack, New Delhi, new york times, qa, retaliatory strikes, six hostages, sofer, terror network, terrorist attacks