Israel pulls tanks, infantry close to Gaza: ReportDecember 28th, 2008 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
Tel Aviv, Dec 28 (RIA Novosti) Israel is pulling tanks and infantry reinforcements close to Gaza in preparation for a possible ground attack on Hamas militants, the Ynet web portal and The Jerusalem Post newspaper reported Sunday. Israel’s air force launched Saturday, and continued till Sunday noon, a number of simultaneous airstrikes targeting the paramilitary units of the radical Islamist movement Hamas, which is in virtual control of the salient.
The airstrikes, launched in response to rocket and mortar fire by Hamas militants against southern Israel, have reportedly killed more than 270 Palestinians.
Ynet quoted Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak as saying in an interview with British Sky News television that the Israeli ground forces would enter the Gaza Strip, if necessary.
According to The Jerusalem Post, Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal called on West Bank residents to rise up against Israel in a new “intifada” but at the same time repeated that his organization was interested in renewing the ceasefire agreement with Israel.
He said that the ceasefire would be possible on the condition that Israel lift its siege of Gaza and open all crossings in and out of the Gaza Strip.
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Two rockets fired from Gaza into Israel despite announced ceasefire - Apr 16, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel lauds its anti-rocket system - Mar 12, 2012
- Israel fears more rocket attacks - Mar 27, 2012
- Israel bombs weapons factory, two tunnels in Gaza - Nov 19, 2009
- Israeli strike kills two in Gaza, Israel deploys anti-missile system - Mar 27, 2011
- Israel shells Gaza, assault shows no sign of let-up (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2009
- Israel's envoy to visit Egypt for Gaza talks - Jan 14, 2009
- Israel sends ground troops into Gaza Strip (Lead) - Jan 04, 2009
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- Israel minister sells luxury apartment after public outcry - Mar 21, 2012
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010