Israel displays advanced AWACS at Aero IndiaFebruary 11th, 2009 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Feb 11 (IANS) Even as the Indian Air Force (IAF) awaits the delivery of its first airborne early warning and control systems (AWACS), Israel is displaying a compact version of the system mounted on a business jet at the Aero India international air show that opened here Wednesday.India has purchased three Phalcon AWACS systems from Israel that will be mounted on the Russian-built IL-78 transport aircraft. What Israel is now offering is the third generation Conformal Airborne Early Warning and Control System (CAEWCS) fitted into a modified Gulfstream 550G business jet.
“The best part about our system is that it is more compact and has greater endurance than the IL-78,” an Israeli official told IANS, speaking on condition of anonymity.
The Israeli offering has an endurance of nine hours, against the IL-78’s six hours. This enabled the Gulfstream to fly non-stop from Israel to the Aero India venue at the Yelahanka Air Force Base here.
Based on dual-band technology, the radar was upgraded in 2008 and is being displayed for the first time in India.
The CAEWCS, which is in service in the Israeli Air Force, serves a variety of operational missions including airborne early warning, air situation picture generation and air combat command and control.
- Indigenous airborne radar for IAF trials soon - Sep 20, 2012
- IAF to soon decide on bidder for Mirage upgrade - Jun 15, 2011
- India's first advanced radar system to roll out end-2011 - Nov 09, 2010
- Israel, India discuss delivery schedule of weapons - Dec 09, 2009
- Indian Air Force's eye in the sky arrives escorted by fighter jets - May 25, 2009
- AWACS to arrive in India by March: Air Force chief - Feb 13, 2009
- India's second AWACS eye-in-the-sky to arrive in March - Jan 17, 2010
- Israeli defence chief coming to India - Dec 08, 2009
- 'India to buy more than 16 C-17 airlifters' - Jun 14, 2011
- Defence Minister to dedicate AWACS in service of nation today - May 28, 2009
- In quest for supremacy, IAF inducts AWACS - May 28, 2009
- Russia to develop new AWACS plane - Aug 09, 2011
- Antony 'anxious' to get timely delivery of defence procurements - May 28, 2009
- Israeli defence delegation to visit India next week - Dec 03, 2009
- Israeli military delegation to visit India to strengthen ties (Lead) - Dec 03, 2009
Tags: aero india, air combat command, anonymity, business jet, compact version, dual band technology, early warning, endurance, gulfstream, india bangalore, india international, indian air force, israeli air force, israeli official, operational missions, phalcon awacs, six hours, third generation, time in india, transport aircraft