Israel and Syria hold indirect talksMay 22nd, 2008 - 9:18 am ICT by admin
Nicosia, May 22 (ANI): The Israeli, the Syrian and the Turkish government confirmed on Wednesday that indirect talks are being held in Istanbul between Israel and Syria, aimed at reaching a comprehensive peace agreement.
Turkey has played a mediating role and has facilitated contact between the two sides.
Previous talks in 2000 had broken down, when the two sides disagreed on the extent of Israels withdrawal from the Golan Heights.
The two most senior officials in Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmerts office have been leading the Israeli negotiations and were talking to their Syrian counterparts, through Turkish mediators.
Ehud Olmert’s office said both sides were talking “in good faith and openly” and added: They decided to pursue the dialogue between them in a serious and continuous way, in order to achieve the goal of comprehensive peace.
In a statement, Syria’s Foreign Ministry said both sides had “expressed their desire to conduct the talks in goodwill and decided to continue dialogue with seriousness to achieve comprehensive peace”.
There have been no reports if the talks had made specific progress, but apparently the negotiations have made enough progress because all the sides have now acknowledged the holding of talks. (ANI)
- 12 Arabs killed for violating Golan Heights truce line - Jun 05, 2011
- UN chief urges restraint from Israel, Arab sides - May 16, 2011
- No alternative to peace talks: Abbas (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 16, 2010
- Gaza violence overshadows Mideast peace talks - Sep 16, 2010
- India ready to play a role for Mideast peace - Oct 25, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Patil arrives in Syria after ending visit to UAE - Nov 26, 2010
- Israel to hand over historical building to Russia - Jun 26, 2012
- Israel, Syria to begin third round of talks - Jul 01, 2008
- Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting found - Jul 05, 2012
- BRICS says dialogue only answer for Syria, Iran - Mar 29, 2012
- Turkey to hold political dialogue with EU - Jun 07, 2012
- Palestine rejects US call to start direct talks - Jul 18, 2010
- Iranian parliamentary delegation in Syria for talks - Aug 26, 2012
- PM Netanyahu says Israel "quite serious" on peace talks - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: counterparts, desire, dialogue, ehud olmert, extent, foreign ministry, golan heights, good faith, goodwill, indirect talks, israel, israeli negotiations, israeli prime minister, istanbul, mediators, peace agreement, senior officials, seriousness, syria, turkish government