Ishrat case: Supreme Court rejects Gujarat Govt plea challenging SIT probeNovember 12th, 2010 - 2:36 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 12 (ANI): The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed a Gujarat Government plea challenging the constitution of a Special Investigation Team (SIT) by the Gujarat High Court to probe the “fake” encounter killing of Ishrat Jahan and three others.
An apex court bench comprising of justices B Sudershan Reddy and S S Nijjar rejected the state government’s plea that contended that the SIT should be allowed to continue and that the High Court had no power to constitute another SIT.
“Court is not deprived of its power. In exceptional cases, it can do (constitute a team). In the facts of the case, we find no reason to interfere,” the Supreme Court bench observed.
Earlier, the apex court had asked the Gujarat High Court to constitute a separate SIT to probe Ishrat Jahan’s killing.
The apex court had asked the High Court to appoint a separate SIT on a plea by the Supreme Court-appointed SIT, headed by former CBI director R K Raghvan, expressing its inability to probe the case.
But the Gujarat Government, in turn, had approached the court challenging the constitution of an SIT, stating saying that a probe into the case be given to another SIT formed by the state government.
Ishrat was gunned down by Gujarat police along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
The encounter was carried out by a team of Ahmedabad Crime Branch led by DIG D.G. Vanjara. The police alleged that all four were Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) operatives involved in a plot to assassinate Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
In August 2009, the Ahmedabad Metropolitan court ruled that the killing of Ishrat Jehan was a fake encounter. (ANI)
- SC stays probe in Ishrat Jahan case - May 03, 2011
- Ishrat case: SIT submits status report to Gujarat HC - Apr 20, 2011
- Ishrat case: SIT submits progress report to Gujarat HC - Apr 05, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan encounter was fake, claims senior Gujarat cop - Jan 28, 2011
- Ishrat Jahan case: Supreme Court upholds special probe (Lead) - Nov 12, 2010
- Gujarat High Court transfers Ishrat Jahan case to Supreme Court-appointed SIT - Aug 12, 2010
- Supreme Court restrains SIT in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Contempt plea against Gujarat disposed in Ishrat Jahan killing - Nov 22, 2010
- Gujarat High Court gets free hand in Ishrat Jahan case (Lead) - Sep 06, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan case: Centre gets last chance on SIT - Sep 17, 2010
- Timeline: Ishrat Jahan shootout - Nov 21, 2011
- High court adjourns hearing in Ishrat Jahan case - Sep 03, 2010
- Apex court restrains SIT in Ishrat Jahan case - May 03, 2011
- Court free to probe Ishrat Jahan case, rules apex court - Sep 06, 2010
- Ishrat Jahan case: apex court upholds special probe team - Nov 12, 2010
Tags: ahmedabad, akbar ali, amjad ali, apex court, crime branch, gani, gujarat government, gujarat govt, gujarat high court, gujarat police, investigation team, ishrat jahan, jehan, jisan, johar, metropolitan court, narendra modi, nijjar, pillai, supreme court bench