Is Kerala CM under pressure to quit for opposing clean chit to Vijayan?May 8th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by ANI
Trivandrum, May 8 (ANI): Pressure seems to be building on Kerala Chief Minister VS Achatunandan to quit after he defied CPI (M) stand to give a clean chit to party’s state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan in the Lavalin scam.
Sources claim that in a meeting held in the CPI (M) state secretariat in Trivandrum, members asked for Achutanandan’s resignation as he has been defying party’s stand to give a clean chit to Pinarayi Vijayan.
Opposition Congress-led UDF today asked Governor R S Gavai to reject the cabinet decision to deny permission to CBI to prosecute CPI(M) leader Pinarayi Vijayan, increasing pressure on the ruling LDF Government in Kerala,.
Kerala’s opposition leader Oommen Chandy led a UDF delegation and submitted a memorandum to Governor Gavai, asking him to take an independent decision on the matter and reject the cabinet decision, which held that there was no ground to prosecute Vijayan in the case, a news channel reported.
“As the Opposition, it is our duty to seek the Governor’s intervention in the matter. We expect he will act to uphold the law and the Constitution by examining all aspects of the issue,” Chandy told reporters after meeting the Governor.
The cabinet had on Wednesday endorsed the legal opinion given by the Advocate General, stating there was no ground to grant permission to CBI to prosecute Vijayan in the case.
Canadian company SNC-Lavalin was given the contract to renovate three hydro power stations in 1997 when Vijayan was Power Minister. (ANI)
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Opposition accuses Kerala Govt of leaking out cabinet decision, stages walkout - Sep 09, 2009
- Kerala governor gives nod to prosecute Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
- Opposition UDF meets Kerala governor in Lavalin scam - May 08, 2009
- Opposition meets Kerala governor, wants Lavalin case speeded up - Mar 27, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- Kerala opposition demands Vijayan's prosecution - May 02, 2009
- Vijayan skips court, counsel wants Antony examined - Sep 24, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- CBI gets nod to prosecute Vijayan, CPI-M to fight case (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Kerala governor's decision not surprising: Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2009
- Opposition calls for Kerala shutdown for Vijayan's prosecution - May 06, 2009
- Governor's decision on Vijayan arbitrary: Kerala home minister - Jun 09, 2009
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: advocate general, cabinet decision, cbi, chief minister, clean chit, constitution, CPI, delegation, hydro power, independent decision, legal opinion, memorandum, opposition congress, opposition leader, pinarayi vijayan, power minister, resignation, secretariat, state secretariat, state secretary