Irate mob goes on rampage in Indore alleging custodial deathNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:35 am ICT by admin
The angry mob set a police vehicle on fire and roughed up the policemen on duty. A head constable and a senior police official were injured in the incident.
Police fired 15-20 rounds in the air to disperse the crowd.
The family members of Ghanshyam Pitananuram, the victim, suspect foul play.
Pitananuram’s brother Hari Shanker Patel accused the police of excesses.
“When I came to the police station, I saw my brother being beaten up mercilessly,” said Patel.
Romesh Bhandari, Additional District Magistrate (ADM), said that according to preliminary information, a person, who was taken into police custody on Friday night, fell ill.
He was taken to the hospital and he died later, Bhandari said.
A magisterial enquiry has been ordered into the incident.
According to police sources, two policemen were suspended last night after the matter was reported.
Three more policemen have been suspended for negligence of duty, sources said.
However, there has been no formal acceptance of custodial death from the police administration. (ANI)
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- UP suspends four officials after violence - Jun 26, 2012
- Two cops suspended after man's death in custody - Jul 20, 2009
- Odisha cop killed, four injured in mob attack - Aug 12, 2012
- Suspected custody death: Four cops suspended - Nov 04, 2011
- Five Uttar Pradesh cops suspended for custodial death - Mar 20, 2010
- Six injured as villagers clash with police - Mar 05, 2012
- 11 cops suspended after girl found dead in police station - Jun 11, 2011
- Three Rajasthan cops booked for 'custody death' - Feb 22, 2012
- SIT to probe NRI's custodial death: Goa minister - Feb 03, 2011
- Violence in Uttar Pradesh after youth's death - Feb 22, 2011
- Congress shutdown hits life in Odisha - Sep 10, 2012
- Cops slept while dacoits struck, suspended - Nov 30, 2011
- Three Orissa cops suspended for custodial death - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: adm, angry mob, brother, crowd, custodial death, district magistrate, formal acceptance, head constable, irate mob, mercilessly, night fell, police administration, police official, police sources, police station, police vehicle, policemen, rampage, ruckus, shanker