Iraqi Prime Minister wants foreign troops out of country by 2009July 20th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington , July 20 (ANI): Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has said that he would like to see British and US troops leave Iraq by the end of next year.
Malikis comments are a boost to Gordon Brown and Barack Obama, who is shortly due to visit Baghdad .
Malili said, US presumptive democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama is on record as saying that foreign troops should be out of Iraq within 16 months.
We think, this would be the right timeframe for a withdrawal, with the possibility of slight changes, the Der Spiegel quoted him, as saying.
The statement is the first time that Maliki has backed a specific timetable.
On being asked if he supported Obama’’s ideas more than those of John McCain, Maliki said, Whoever is thinking about the shorter term is closer to reality. Artificially extending the stay of U.S. troops would cause problems.
He further added, The Americans have found it difficult to agree on a concrete timetable for the exit because it seems like an admission of defeat to them. But it isn”t.
Last week, the Pentagon acknowledged that it is likely to accelerate a drawdown of troops in the coming months.
The intervention will give Obama in particular a public relations coup against his Republican rival John McCain, who has said that setting a firm date for departure is tantamount to surrender in Iraq . (ANI)
- US troops to be out of Iraq this year - Dec 12, 2011
- US, Iraqi officials talk relations after troops drawdown - Oct 29, 2011
- US troops to pull out from Iraq by 2011 end - Oct 22, 2011
- Iraqi premier praises Obama's pullout plan - Jul 20, 2008
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Obama marks end of Iraq war - Dec 15, 2011
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Iraq marks first Army Day - Jan 07, 2012
- Barack Obama to host Iraqi PM in White House - Nov 05, 2011
- Iraqi PM rules out US troops' stay beyond 2011 - Dec 28, 2010
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- US Defense Secretary Robert Gates Welcomes "DADT" Repeal, Senator John McCain Criticizes - Dec 19, 2010
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- McCain commends Obama on bin Laden killing - May 02, 2011
Tags: admission, baghdad, barack obama, democratic presidential nominee, der spiegel, drawdown, gordon brown, iraq, john mccain, nouri al maliki, pentagon, prime minister nouri al maliki, public relations coup, spiegel, timeframe, timetable