Iran to upgrade missile production unitDecember 16th, 2008 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Dec 16 (Xinhua) A senior Iranian military officer has said the government is set to upgrade its missile production division in an effort to boost the Islamic country’s defence capabilities. Brigadier General Mehdi Farahi, head of the aerospace organization (AO) in the defence ministry, was quoted as saying that “the reforms are intended to promote efficiency and help fulfil the requirements of the country’s armed forces,” Press TV channel reported.
The AO has been responsible for developing Iran’s surface-to-surface Sejjil missile, the longer-range Shahab-3 ballistic missile which has a range of up to 2,000 km, and Zelzal and Fateh missiles.
Earlier this month, London-based Jane’s Magazine reported on its website that Tehran tripled its arsenal of Shahab-3 intermediate-range ballistic missiles (IRBMs) in 2008.
An intelligence source was quoted by Jane’s as saying that at the beginning of 2008, Iran had about 30 operational missiles, but the figure has risen to more than 100 now.
The United States and its allies have accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of a civilian nuclear programme.
Iran has repeatedly denied the US allegations and insisted that its nuclear programme is for peaceful purposes only.
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- Iran unveils home-made ballistic missiles on Army Day - Apr 18, 2010
- Iran says all missile tests successful (Lead) - Sep 28, 2009
- Iran test-fires ballistic missiles - Jul 03, 2012
- Iran test-fires another missile - Aug 25, 2010
- Pakistan to test-fire n-missile - May 19, 2012
- India sucessfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-I missile - Nov 25, 2010
- Iran to unveil 'advanced' cruise missile - Sep 09, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile propels India into elite club (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- US military conducts 'most challenging' ballistic missile defense test - Apr 16, 2011
- Agni-V, India's 'China Killer' (To go with Agni-V launch story) - Apr 19, 2012
- India, Pakistan successfully test-fire n-capable missiles (Fourth Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Iran missile programme no threat to Europe: French official - May 04, 2012
- Pakistan test-fires n-capable missile (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Pakistan tests nuclear capable, short-range missile (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011