IOA suspends KPS Gill as IHF chiefApril 28th, 2008 - 8:46 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 28 (ANI): Close on the heels of a bribery scandal involving Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) official, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Monday suspended IHF chief KPS Gill and constituted an ad-hoc panel headed by Aslam Sher Khan for future team selection.
The panel that will also include Dhanraj Pillay, Ashok Kumar and Ajit Pal would take administrative decisions till a final verdict is out.
Earlier in the day, Gill had said that he had stood by his juniors throughout his career and he had nothing to do with IHF secretary K Jothikumar alleged action to accept a bribe to induct a player in the team.
O Sunday, expressing dismay at the state of Indian hockey, FIH chief Els van Breda Vriesman said the world body can’t work with a federation whose top official was under investigation following a TV sting operation.
“It (the sting operation) is never heard of in the world of field hockey. I wish the Indian hockey gets positive publicity and not this kind. We are in touch with both International Olympic committee and the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) how to proceed in such situation,” she had said.
“Now the IOA has to manage Indian Hockey Confederation because I don`t think we can work with a half-suspended Secretary General (K Jothikumaran) and a president probably linked because he protects his secretary in this case,” she added. (ANI)
- Gill turns down merger proposal with HI - Jun 24, 2011
- IHF rejects IOA's three-member panel - Aug 30, 2012
- Reinstated by court, Gill vows to be back in action - May 21, 2010
- IHF appoints national selection panel - Jul 13, 2010
- HI to act tough on Bhopal nationals' participants - Jul 04, 2010
- Gill vows to fight back after High Court quashes IOC order - May 21, 2010
- Hockey India's claims meaningless, says Gill - May 23, 2010
- KPS Gill holds AGM of superseded IHF - Apr 25, 2010
- FIH gives a month to HI and IHF to work out merger formula - Feb 26, 2012
- K.P.S. Gill to chair IHF meeting - Apr 25, 2010
- Hockey India paid higher hosting fee for World Cup: Gill - Jun 08, 2011
- Hockey units unhappy at IOA's merger initiative - May 08, 2009
- FIH asks sports ministry to recognise only Hockey India - Sep 29, 2011
- We can solve the hockey mess through talks: K.P.S. Gill - Jul 28, 2010
- Sports ministry calls HI and IHF to form unified hockey body - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: administrative decisions, ajit, ashok kumar, bribe, bribery scandal, dhanraj pillay, dismay, final verdict, future team, hockey fih, ihf, indian hockey federation, indian olympic association, international olympic committee, ioa, kps gill, sher khan, sting operation, team selection, van breda