Internet addiction is now a clinical disorderNovember 10th, 2008 - 1:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 10 (ANI): Feeling irritated because you cant access the Internet? Well, may be its time to seek medical help as Internet addiction is now considered a clinical disorder rather than a bad habit, according to a new Internet Addiction Disorder (IAD) diagnostic manual approved over the weekend by psychologists.
The two major symptoms of IAD are lingering online for more than six hours a day instead of working or studying and having adverse reactions from not being able to get online, reports China Daily.
According to the manual, IAD sufferers usually engage in five main activities Online gaming, net pornography, excessive involvement in virtual social networking, too much Internet shopping and general cyber-surfing.
Tao Ran, a leading medical professional on addiction in China who also headed the drafting of the manual, said that the guide would be the first of its kind in the world if the Ministry of Health officially approves it.
Tao said that the ministry is highly likely to give the manual the green light next year.
“If so, China will be the first country to recognize IAD as a clinical disease, like gambling or alcohol addiction,” Tao said. (ANI)
- Internet addiction is like drugs: Study - Jan 12, 2012
- Rise in number of Aussies seeking treatment for sex addiction - Mar 02, 2011
- Sex addiction to be formally recognised as a psychiatric disorder - Mar 14, 2011
- Internet can be crucial for teens' development: Study - Sep 28, 2011
- Singapore hospital to give online treatment to gamblers - Apr 04, 2012
- Scientist recommends regimen of drugs for treating gambling addicts - Apr 12, 2011
- Is your teenager addicted to the internet? - Apr 11, 2010
- Now, rehab clinic for Internet addicts! - Oct 22, 2009
- New US psychiatry manual targets binge eating, not sex addiction, obesity - Feb 11, 2010
- China restricts contents of online games for kids - Aug 02, 2010
- When rose-coloured glasses can go too far - Jul 24, 2011
- New content control rules leave netizens sore - May 11, 2011
- Over 33m young Chinese adults addicted to Internet - Jun 19, 2010
- Watching online porn turning men hopeless in bed - Oct 22, 2011
- 460,000 youngsters addicted to internet in China's Guangdong province - Feb 26, 2010
Tags: adverse reactions, alcohol addiction, bad habit, china daily, cyber surfing, iad, internet addiction disorder, internet shopping, medical help, medical professional, ministry of health, New Delhi, pornography, psychologists, six hours, social networking, tao