‘Internal, external forces’ creating political unrest in Sri Lanka: RajapaksaDecember 27th, 2008 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Dec 27 (IANS) Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has alleged that many “internal and external elements” were bent on halting the ongoing military action against the Tamil Tiger rebels and “have already begun to create political unrest” in the island nation.He, however, stopped short of naming those elements.
“President Mahinda Rajapaksa alleged there were many elements both internal and external working behind the scenes to stall the advance of the security forces and urged all patriotic forces to support the government’s effort at this crucial juncture to defeat terrorism,” the state-run Daily News reported Saturday.
Rajapaksa made these remarks at a meeting with a breakaway group of the radical Marxist Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) Friday on forming a grand coalition to face the forthcoming provincial council polls for the north-central and central provinces.
His comments came as the forces advanced to Mulliyawalai township, lying in the district of Mullaitivu, the military nerve centre of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
“The president alleged that malicious elements, which depended on the LTTE for survival, have already begun to create political unrest by creating many problems for the government,” the media report said.
Extending its fullest support to the Rajapaksa government, the JVP breakaway National Freedom Front (NFF) has hailed the government’s military effort and said that the troops “had won 90 percent of the battle against the LTTE and the remaining 10 percent too had to be completed without bowing down to pressure”.
The president’s remarks have come at a time when the main opposition United National Party (UNP) has threatened to file a contempt of court case against the cabinet, finance ministry, Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) and Lanka Indian Oil Corporation (LIOC) for not complying with the Supreme Court ruling to reduce the price of petrol to 100 rupees.
The Sri Lanka government is determined to capture the rebel-held districts of Mullaitivu and Kilinochchi and its troops are said to be operating on the outskirts of Kilinochchi town, 350 km north of here.
The LTTE has been fighting against the Sri Lankan government for a quarter century to carve out a separate state for Tamils in the northern and eastern parts of the island.
Thousands have died in escalating fighting since late 2005.
Tags: forthcoming provincial council, indian oil corporation, janatha vimukthi peramuna, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mahinda rajapaksa, president mahinda rajapaksa, provincial council polls, sri lankan president, tamil tiger rebels