Inspired by Hazare, Amritsar residents pay tribute to Jallainwala Bagh martyrsApril 13th, 2011 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar, Apr.13 (ANI): Inspired by last week’s action of noted social activist Anna Hazare, residents of Amritsar paid rich tribute to the unknown martyrs of the 1919 Jallainwala Bagh massacre.
It maybe recalled that on April 13, 1919, around 10,000 gathered at Jallianwala Bagh to protest peacefully against the oppressive Rowlatt Act. Thousands of innocents, including children were brutally killed when the army sprayed fired on the orders of Brigadier General Reginald Dyer. About 1500 wounded people were left to die in their own blood. It is honour of those who died in the enclosed compound, that the Jallianwala Bagh memorial was built.
On Wednesday, residents of various localities of Amritsar avoided all political functions being held to commemorate the event and visited Jallianwala Bagh to remember the martyrs. They also raised patriotic slogans and observed two minutes silence.
Surinder Singh, a resident, accused various political parties of distorting the sprit of the occasion.
He said: “Let us remember the sacrifice of the martyrs and ensure that their lives were not laid down in vain, and like Anna Hazare, we should stand today against corruption, the root cause of our nation’s problems.”
Varinder Walia, another resident, said: ” Let us pledge not to be corrupt and to oppose corruption for a new India. This would be a real tribute to the martyrs.”
Residents placed wreaths and showered flower petals near the flame shaped Jallianwala Bagh memorial.
Partap Singh said that the politics of mudslinging appeared to be overshadowing the legacy of the martyrs. He urged politicians not to use the pious place for their own agendas. (ANI)
- A walk into Jallianwala Bagh on 66th Independence Day - Aug 15, 2012
- Tribals call Goa DGP 'General Dyer' - Jun 20, 2011
- Jallianawala Bagh, 'a turning point' in Indian freedom struggle: Antony - Apr 14, 2010
- Queen's apology sought for Jallianwala massacre - May 25, 2011
- Tribals Call Goa DGP 'General Dyer' (Lead) - Jun 20, 2011
- This is second freedom struggle: Hazare - Jun 08, 2011
- Punjab cabinet prays at Amritsar shrines - Mar 16, 2012
- Last survivor of Jallianwala Bagh massacre dies - Jun 29, 2009
- Maharashtra village honours cop with 'Gen. Dyer Award'! (With Images) - Mar 07, 2010
- Bollywood condemns Hazare's detention - Aug 16, 2011
- Intellectuals, artists support Hazare; raise questions too! - Aug 16, 2011
- Punjab offers house, pension to Jallianwala Bagh hero's son - Jul 29, 2009
- Ramdev, Anna hold day-long fast in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Anna breaks vow of silence - Nov 04, 2011
- Government scuttling Lokpal Bill, says Hazare (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, brigadier general, flower petals, general reginald dyer, innocents, jallianwala bagh, mudslinging, new india, partap singh, political functions, political parties, real tribute, rich tribute, root cause, rowlatt act, slogans, social activist, sprit, tribute to the martyrs, wreaths