INS Vindhyagiri sinks after collisionJanuary 31st, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai/New Delhi, Jan 31 (ANI): The Indian naval ship, INS Vindhyagiri, that caught fire after collision with a foreign merchant vessel at the Mumbai harbour sunk on Monday.
INS Vindhyagiri was carrying family members of Navy personnel on board. There have been no injuries as all the people were evacuated from the ship.
The ship, however, suffered major damage to its engine. The merchant vessel, however, did not suffer any significant damage and may be held accountable.
Fire tenders couldn’t douse the fire in INS Vindhyagiri due to presence of oil near the engine, resulting in sinking of the ship.
According to the officials, INS Vindhyagiri was returning to the dockyard while merchant vessel Nord Lake was leaving Mumbai harbour when the two collided in the harbour.
Earlier in the day, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma commented on the use of the latest technology for preventing ship collisions at busy harbours.”So I would say the answer lies in two pronged effort: one is that the sunken wreck(s) should be removed. The other is, why have the ships sunk there? Because it is also seen that some of the ships, perhaps were quite old and many of the ports in the world, there they may not have been allowed entry, also,” he said.
“So there has to be greater regulations as far as the age of ships that are permitted inside, and I would say that more caution has to be exercised while ships go in and out of harbour,” he added.His views come in the backdrop of a collision between INS Vindhyagiri and a merchant ship, M. N. Nordlake.
INS Vindhyagiri (F42) was a Nilgiri class frigate of the Indian Navy. It was commissioned into the Navy on July 8, 1981. (ANI)
- Warship on fire post collision, efforts on to douse blaze - Jan 31, 2011
- Ship catches fire near Mumbai, many stuck - Jan 31, 2011
- Navy permitted to decommission, destroy damaged warship - May 08, 2012
- Rammed warship catches fire, listing; probe ordered - Jan 31, 2011
- Capsized naval ship to be decommissioned in 2012 - Dec 02, 2011
- Cargo vessel hits naval warship, no casualties - Jan 30, 2011
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- Maritime activity resumes five days after collision (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Coast Guard vessel sinks after collision with ship (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- President Patil reviews naval fleet - Dec 20, 2011
- Navy submarines involved in minor collision - Jul 03, 2010
- President to review Indian Navy fleet next month - Nov 22, 2011
- India's third indigenous stealth frigate commissioning July 21 - Jun 25, 2012
- Body recovered from boat wreck off Kerala coast - Mar 05, 2012
- Oil spill off Mumbai from sunken ship - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: admiral, backdrop, caution, dockyard, family members, fire tenders, frigate, harbours, indian navy, ins, latest technology, merchant ship, merchant vessel, mumbai, naval ship, naval staff, New Delhi, nord lake, ship collisions, sinks