INPT demands 50 percent reservation in Tripura AssemblyNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:01 am ICT by admin
Frontal organizations of the tribal Indigenous Nationalist Party of Tripura (INPT), including their women front and student’s wing took to the streets of Agartala on Wednesday with a list of 27 demands.
Shouting anti-Left slogans, the demonstrators demanded 50 percent reservation of assembly seats, the withdrawl of the National Security Act (NSA) from Tripura, additional power with direct funding to the Autonomous District Council (ADC), immediate implementation of the National Tribal Policy 2006 and and inner land permit.
The party also demanded for fulfilling of the vacant tribal reserved post in different state departments and opening of state human rights office.
The party General Secretary Rabindra Debbarma said that among the demands the prime are 50 percent reservation for tribal in the Tripura assembly seat, returning back of the once owned tribal land presently owned by non-tribal and inclusion of the Roman script for Kokborok (Tripuri tribal language).
Debbarma also mentioned the NSA should be withdrawn from the state as instead of applying it against the militants the state government is using it for mainly their political intentions.
Scheduled elections to the 60 seat Tripura State Assembly is on early next year, but the political parties of the state have already started their poll preparation. (ANI)
- Prominent Tripura tribal leader dead - Nov 13, 2010
- Left wants forest land norms relaxed for non-tribals - Apr 01, 2011
- Conspiracy against Tripura's Left government: Manik Sarkar - Dec 05, 2011
- Tribal militants planning attacks ahead of Tripura local polls: CPI-M - Oct 23, 2009
- Special powers act extended for six months in Tripura - Mar 19, 2012
- Northeast parties press for repealing army's special powers - Apr 11, 2012
- Iconic Left leader's body cremated in Tripura - Jun 09, 2011
- CPI-M to launch stir for reserving jobs for Muslims - Feb 26, 2012
- Congress, alliance partner to contest Tripura council polls alone - Apr 03, 2010
- Tripura mulls reserving jobs for Muslims - Apr 18, 2011
- Policeman killed, several injured in Tripura clashes - Feb 27, 2011
- Rallies planned in New Delhi demanding autonomous states - Oct 26, 2010
- CPI-M seeks more power for northeast autonomous councils - May 19, 2010
- CPI-M fears terror spurt before Tripura local bodies polls - Feb 01, 2011
- Tripura provides more power to tribal council - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: agartala, assembly seat, assembly seats, autonomous district, demands, national security act, national tribal, nsa, nuclear deal, political intentions, poll, roman script, tribal land, tribal language, tribal policy, tripura, UPA