Injured in clashes, Kashmir youth dies after 13 monthsOctober 12th, 2011 - 3:46 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 12 (IANS) A teenager, who had been in a coma since being hit by a bullet in a clash between a mob and security forces last September, died at his home in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pampore town Wednesday, his relatives said.
Muzafar Ahmad, 18, was going for tuitions when he was hit by the bullet Sep 18, 2010, and died after 13 months, his relatives said.
“He had suffered a serious spinal cord injury when he was hit by a bullet in Pampore on Sep 18. He had since then been in a coma at the Soura Medical Institute in Srinagar. We brought him home a few days back and today morning he passed away,” a family member said.
Ahmed was felled on the day protests broke out in Pampore against the alleged desecration of the Holy Quran by a US pastor.
More than 100 people were killed in the unprecedented violence and bloody clashes between security forces and protesters in the Valley last year. With Ahmed’s death, the death toll in last year’s unrest has risen to 113.
- 11 killed as violence spreads across Kashmir (Third Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Bloody Monday leaves 16 dead across Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Two die in Afghan protest over Quran burning - Sep 12, 2010
- More protests erupt in Kashmir, another youth killed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Another teen dies in Kashmir, 20 hurt in clashes (Roundup) - Aug 25, 2010
- Rumours of Quran desecration in US fuel Kashmir protests - Sep 13, 2010
- Another youth killed in Kashmir, toll now 71 - Sep 13, 2010
- Three die in Jammu after Quran protests - Sep 15, 2010
- Four killed, 20 injured in Jammu after Quran protests (Lead) - Sep 15, 2010
- Five killed, 20 hurt in Jammu after Quran protests (Second Lead) - Sep 15, 2010
- Three die in Kashmir violence, toll now 73 (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Eleven killed in Kashmir clashes Monday - Sep 13, 2010
- Pak to record protest at all international forums against Florida Quran desecration - Mar 24, 2011
- Another teenager dies in Srinagar, toll 45 (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Injured man dies in Kashmir, toll rises to 110 - Oct 15, 2010
Tags: ahmad, bloody clashes, clash, death toll, desecration, family member, holy quran, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, last september, medical institute, mob, protesters, security forces, soura, spinal cord, spinal cord injury, tuitions, unprecedented violence, unrest