Infrastructure in Assam gets a fillip through rural road linksMarch 16th, 2009 - 8:07 pm ICT by ANI
By Peter Alex Todd
Baksa (Assam), Mar 16 (ANI): Authorities in Assam construct all weather roads in rural areas under the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) which provides employment for locals and also ensures better infrastructure in the region.
The developmental projects executed under the PMGSY have been much appreciated by the people of Batbari in Tukrakuchi region of Baksa district of Assam. This area bordering Bhutan in the northwest, falls under the Bodoland Territorial Council of Assam.
The villagers here had endured their worst phases of Bodo movement during the ”90s till it was partially settled in 2003 with the formation of the Bodoland Territorial Council.
Since then progressive changes have been witnessed which the villagers say is a welcome sign after many decades.
“Almost 18 to 19 villages are receiving the benefits. Many people in the interior parts of the area are progressing and developing because of this road. Travelling has become much easier now,” said Chandicharan Narzari, a village head. Earlier, the roads were uneven and slushy with no proper orientation to serve the local users.
However, with the construction of all-weather roads, the residents are finding it a pleasure to amble along.
“Ever since the roads have been constructed, the children are coming to the schools regularly. This is the best thing that has happened so far here,” said Jitu Goswami, a schoolteacher.
The PMGSY that was launched on December 2000 has been a boon to the people of rural India who until then used to feel isolated from the mainstream of society. (ANI)
- 'More autonomy for states to implement rural schemes' - Apr 08, 2012
- Govt. grants aid for construction of rural roads in Manipur - Feb 07, 2011
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Rural ministry working on village roads scheme, says Ramesh - May 19, 2012
- Over 400 centrally-funded roads found defective in Chhattisgarh - Mar 03, 2011
- Rs.217 crore central funds for Bihar's rural roads - Sep 23, 2010
- Bihar allowed to construct rural roads under central scheme - Sep 16, 2011
- Maoists abduct laborers, torch vehicles in Jharkhand - Feb 19, 2012
- Bihar to get Rs.13.35 Crores for building roads in rural areas - Dec 07, 2009
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh - Feb 12, 2012
- Centre gives Rs.117 crore to six states for rural roads - Oct 01, 2010
- World Bank to provide $1.5 bn for rural roads in India - Jan 14, 2011
- 'Northeast needs new road making techniques for growth' - Feb 06, 2012
- Chhattisgarh probes engineer's donation to Maoists - Feb 21, 2011
- Assam's Samuapara village benefits from development projects - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: assam, authorities, baksa, bhutan, boon, decades, developmental projects, fillip, infrastructure, locals, mainstream, pmgsy, progressive changes, proper orientation, rural areas, rural road, schoolteacher, territorial council, weather roads, welcome sign