Information on judges appointment can”t be revealed under RTI : Govt.March 4th, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, March 4 (ANI): The Delhi High Court on Wednesday stayed an order of the Central Information Commission, following the Centres plea stating documents relating to appointment and transfer of judges could not be revealed under the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
Additional Solicitor General P. P. Malhotra, while challenging the order of CIC asking the government to disclose documents and file-notings on appointment of the Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh, stated in plea that such informations were beyond the purview of RTI Act.
“Correspondence exchanged between constitutional authorities is beyond the purview of the Act and the commission erred in law by directing to disclose it,” the Government said in its petition.
Justice S Ravindra Bhat, after hearing his contention, stayed the CIC order and issued notice to the RTI applicant on whose plea the Commission had passed the direction.
The Commission on January 19 had directed the Centre to disclose all information and file notings on appointment of Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh Jagdish Bhalla, whose promotion file was returned by former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
Chief Justice Bhalla, who was earlier the acting Chief Justice of Chattisgarh, was facing allegations of misconduct during his tenure in the Allahabad High Court.
In 2006, Justice Bhalla was recommended to be elevated as the Chief Justice of Kerala. However, the move ran into controversy after then President A. P. J. Abdul Kalam raised objection.
After his objections, apex court collegium headed by Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan shifted him to Chattisgarh High Court as a judge. He later became the acting Chief Justice of that High Court. (ANI)
- Delhi transit system comes under RTI Act: High court - Jul 08, 2012
- CIC cannot ask information on judges' appointment: Court - Mar 04, 2009
- Apex court restores powers of transparency panel chief - Oct 18, 2010
- Court stays order to make president's donations public - Jul 13, 2012
- Notice to government on plea for appointments in RTI ambit - Mar 28, 2011
- Hasten appointments in transparency panel: Court (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Donations by president: Information panel's order stayed - May 29, 2012
- Court blocks Narayanan-Vajpayee letters on Gujarat riots (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Government gets Delhi High Court contempt notice - May 09, 2012
- Court stays order to provide Tehelka report to Fernandes - Jul 22, 2011
- Central Information Commission asks Law Ministry to furnish details of Justice Bhalla - Jan 24, 2009
- Court blocks Narayanan-Vajpayee letters on Gujarat riots - Jul 11, 2012
- Is CIC empowered to prosecute for perjury? Court issues notice - Dec 23, 2011
- Court stays information panel's order to RBI on RTI plea - Dec 09, 2011
- President comes under RTI, make donations public: Court (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, allahabad high court, apex, apex court, bhalla, bhat, chief justice, cic, contention, delhi high court, former president, information commission, jagdish, k g balakrishnan, kerala, malhotra, plea, purview, ravindra, solicitor general